Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Welch cap badges

Article about: Arrived today and picked up for 99p from ebay, Welsh regiment OR's white metal collar converted to a sweetheart brooch, though sadly it has since lost its pin.

Default Re: Welch cap badges

Jerry, I love these badges and you have a great collection!

I have pictured both the Welsh and SWB badges, each with WWI provenance, in my cap badges thread. They are among my favourite items!

Thanks for sharing so many different variations here.

Josh

Hi Josh, thanks and I'll try and find the thread you mention.

For the Welsh/Welch Regiment and the Royal Welsh/Welch Fusiliers I now have all the variations (except manufacturers variations) for the WWI to WWII period except for the WWII plastic versions. I am not sure if the Welsh/Welch used a bullion version as the RWF did, of which I have two, one loose and one on a FS cap. I also don't know if the RWF used an economy metal version during WWII, as the Welch did and I have one on a FS cap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Welch cap badges   Welch cap badges  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Looking great, Jerry. Could you please tell me why the OR badges were two piece badges (sometimes not) whilst the Officers had the one piece as in your pic of the Welsh Regt above? Just seems that the OR look better than the Officers.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I am not sure why the officers badges were plain bronze, an understatement of their position perhaps, though the bronze is a more expensive material than the white metal and brass used for the OR's version. The OR's were usually bi metal except in the case of the economy versions, all brass (Gilding metal is the correct term) for WWI and plastic (Cellulose acetate) for WWII. As you mention, the OR's bi metals do look good, though for me the OSD versions are very beautiful and finely struck.
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I agree that the Officer's badges also look good, you know what I meant.

Tom

Quote by StuG III View Post
    Thanks Jerry. I agree that the Officer's badges also look good, you know what I meant.

Tom
    Indeed Tom. The bi metals suggest more work went into their manufacturing from their multi part construction.
    Regards,

Jerry

Exactly, something normally reserved for higher ranks, you would think, but with the British army it's the other way around.

Tom

Hi all
    After seeing the posts of the welsh badges I thought you would like to see my small collection, some are modern variants. I do have some cloth badges somewhere too but can't find them at the moment.

Hope you like them.

Jamie

Hi all
    After seeing the posts of the welsh badges I thought you would like to see my small collection, some are modern variants. I do have some cloth badges somewhere too but can't find them at the moment.

Hope you like them.

JamieWelch cap badgesWelch cap badgesWelch cap badgesWelch cap badgesWelch cap badgesWelch cap badgesWelch cap badgesWelch cap badges

Very nice collection Jamie and broader in scope than mine, though once I have completed my Welch/RWF collection I will be looking for more Mons and SWB versions than I have yet and also Welsh guards and Brecknockshire badges.

The 3rd btn Monmouthshire Rgt in the first picture is very nice and one I would like to add if I can find one one day, as are the Pembrokeshire and Glamorgan yeomanry badges. I saw a Pembs for sale recently, but my funds are a bit tight at this time.

Too many good ones to comment on them Jamie, very nice and thanks for showing them, I am certainly a bit green with envy over some of them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast