Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Wireless Operator Air gunner badge.

Article about: Hello, picked up my first two RAF items yesterday. RAF WAG insignia and the winged bullet.

Default Wireless Operator Air gunner badge.

Hello, picked up my first two RAF items yesterday. RAF WAG insignia and the winged bullet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wireless Operator Air gunner badge.   Wireless Operator Air gunner badge.  

Wireless Operator Air gunner badge.  
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 09-21-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Spelling...

?

Very odd. Looks like a Canadian one without the letters RCAF between the laurel leaves, hence the space at the bottom. British ones are joined. Then again Canadian ones have a crown on the top. Don't know what to think. Certainly looks period. Not too sure on the metal badge either, I seem to remember they had three lugs, 2 on the wings and one at the bottom. They have been reproduced.
    Regards,
    Pete

Quote by wood View Post
    Very odd. Looks like a Canadian one without the letters RCAF between the laurel leaves, hence the space at the bottom. British ones are joined. Then again Canadian ones have a crown on the top. Don't know what to think. Certainly looks period. Not too sure on the metal badge either, I seem to remember they had three lugs, 2 on the wings and one at the bottom. They have been reproduced.

Regards,
    Pete
    That's correct regarding the brass badge. There are a lot of copies out there, but they all have only 2 lugs whereas the genuine (and rather rare) original type always had 3 lugs. Here's a good one.

Regards, Ned.

Wireless Operator Air gunner badge.Wireless Operator Air gunner badge.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I would concur with Pete and Ned.

I have no concerns with the wing being Canadian: RAF crews often got these while training in Canada and unpicked the RCAF. My Great Uncle Sid did this himself.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Now why didn't I think of that scenario.
    Pete

I should buy one of these wings...it carries my initials....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by wood View Post
    Now why didn't I think of that scenario.
    Pete

Here is my Great Uncle Sid Thompson wearing his Canadian issue A/G's wing. I have a whole thread devoted to him.

My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wireless Operator Air gunner badge.  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

In December 1939, the new Air Gunners half wing was introduced, to be worn by NCO Air Gunners who had served since September 3rd 1939, and for Officers who had qualified and were then posted to a Squadron from December 1939. The AG half wing replaced the 'winged bullet', although those Air Gunners who had qualified for it but were not actively serving in that trade were still permitted to wear the 'winged bullet' for a time. Any NCO's also trained as Wireless Operators wore the 'fist and sparks' badge too, although this was never worn by officers. There was a 'WAG' half wing worn later in the war, but this was never authorised and so never official issue. In addition, as the war went on, the aircrew trades were reorganised and split into dedicated Air Gunners and Wireless Operators (or Signallers).

Thanks for the input on the winged bullet. I am still 50/50 if it is real or fake. There is suggestions on other sites (regarding similar) that 2 lugs does not necessarily point to it being fake. Possibly Australian. I have details of the chap who sold me t so I am sure there would be no problems returning it.

Air Gunner Winged Bullet - Opinions please - British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Thanks again for all the help.

?

I like the winged bullet , It's a RAF type with a rimless base . Nice detail and lug construction are period , the only shame is that it's been cleaned up.

I know , I know people will bang on that it only has 2 lugs , well Im in the camp that they came in 2 lug construction 1st as well as 3 lugs later on.

The fakes are easy to pick if you can see the base .
    It's easy to copy the top , but not underneath and most fakes come with a faux patina wash to cover it up

Cheers Rick

Attachment 1369570