Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Worn, enormous, and beautiful

Article about: Thats a nice flag!As for date im under the impression that earlier ones were made of seperate stitched panels with the material being dyed linen.. I own a stitched type and also a printed li

NCA
    ?

Default Re: Worn, enormous, and beautiful

Thats a nice flag!As for date im under the impression that earlier ones were made of seperate stitched panels with the material being dyed linen..
    I own a stitched type and also a printed linen one which i was told was also ww2 era?
    Can anyone confirm that?

The current Union flag dates from 1801 when the red cross of St Patrick was added, partially superimposed over the diagonal white cross of St Andrew. I believe the US flag is nicknamed 'the Stars and Stripes', the 'Stars and Bars' was the name given to the Confederate states' flag (not the battle ensign with the diagonal cross). Most countries have rules and guidelines for 'flying the flag' but I suppose once you've made them into underpants and aprons the point has somewhat been lost!

Very nice flag A great buy.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Hard to date fabric without destructive testing, but construction might have more to do with quality and original cost than date of manufacture.

A multi-panel flag, or one with embroidered stars would be much more expensive than a printed linen or cotton, or synthetic fabric flag.

Nicest of all are the battle flags.

I don't know if it's still there, but the white ensign flown by H.M.S. Chester at Jutland used to hang in Chester Cathedral. It was filthy and torn to shreds by shell-fire as the cruiser took a pasting (and one of its boy gunners won a VC--Jack Cornwell) but what a story!

Cheers,

Pat

AIF
    ?

That was a great deal you got on the flag mate!! Id glady take it off your hands for $10 lol I got a small one not long back for $5 and I thought that was a good deal.

And Pat Id love to see that flag from the Chester one day, Jack Cornwell was my Great grandfathers cousin, pretty sad story that one. His parents especially his mother never got over his loss. But what a brave lad he was, If I was in that situation when I was 15 I dont think I would have stayed put at that gun when all the crew were blown to pieces scattered on the ground in front of me, with shells still incoming. Crazy stuff.

?

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Nothing personal aimed at you Dave, its just one of my "pet peeves" mate!
    And Im not going to get into a discussion about why some local authorities have banned to flying of the Union Flag in public areas or on private grounds etc, suffice to say, sooner or later there will be a flag pole of some description put up on my premises and there will be a Union Flag or an England flag on it.
    It really gets me, especially as, when I went to the USA a couple of years ago, just about every house and public building was flying a "Stars and Bars". We should be proud of our national flag, whatever the nationality, I know I am!

Rant over and sorry for hijacking the thread Mo.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Hello, Jimpy! Sorry, but we (USA) refer to our flag as the 'stars and STRIPES' not stars and bars. I just had to correct you when i saw a fellow mate say ' union jack' and you corrected him.
    ~Dean

?

Quote by totenkopfDean View Post
    Hello, Jimpy! Sorry, but we (USA) refer to our flag as the 'stars and STRIPES' not stars and bars. I just had to correct you when i saw a fellow mate say ' union jack' and you corrected him.
    ~Dean
    Hi Dean.

Fair point and no offence taken, or meant to our American cousins with me getting it wrong.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 06-21-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Addition

Did you know that it is U.K. law that you have to apply for planning permission if you are thinking of putting up a flagpole on your property?

These days national pride is often mistaken for jingoism,support for lost Empire or just far right wing racial hatred. Rather sad really when one sees the flags of other eastern nations flying from temples all over the country....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Did you know that it is U.K. law that you have to apply for planning permission if you are thinking of putting up a flagpole on your property?

These days national pride is often mistaken for jingoism,support for lost Empire or just far right wing racial hatred. Rather sad really when one sees the flags of other eastern nations flying from temples all over the country....
    Sometimes over here in the U.S. you have to get permisson to install a flag pole on your property if you want to display the US flag. Some areas do not even allow you to have a flag pole on you property. Most people put the flags on there houses outside, on mounts on the exterior wall.

Mike

The big thing here is the confederate flag. I have heard all sorts of stories of how people have been forced to take them down from poles, houses, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2