Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 period US 5th army patch

Article about: Another weekend pick up, although not showing up too well on pics appears to be cut edge construction with snowy back, first US patch I've seen with loops on, any thoughts welcomed !, Cheers

jwp
    ?

Default WW2 period US 5th army patch

Another weekend pick up, although not showing up too well on pics appears to be cut edge construction with snowy back, first US patch I've seen with loops on, any thoughts welcomed !,
    Cheers, John.

Never seen loops sewn on the back like this before..

I am not 100% positive that this is a cut edge patch.. I am seeing more of a merrowed border than a cut edge, but I may be wrong..

Curious about the loops on the back.. Will have to look through some books to see if I find anything similar..

Smitty

jwp
    ?

many thanks, appreciate that.

jwp
    ?

hard one to call but does appear to have an olive green edge to top and bottom of patch.

Hi John

Fifth Army as you know, has been in use with cut edge into the mid 60's.

However this one is WWII manufactured , I can tell by the border , its rayon thread and the green twill was used thruought WWII era manufacturing.

When the US Army went to OD uniform 43 pattern, more manufacturers started to use the green twill.

Now with all that, your example with the loops would of been used for British personnel assigned to Fifth Army used on epaulets. Obviously the loops have been hand stitched.
    Nice example.

Phill

Phill

jwp
    ?

Thanks Phil, most interesting, my dad's division, the british 78th, did come under US 5th army command during the fighting around the gothic line in italy before returning to the British 8th army command for the end game in italy and the push into Austria.

Always glad to help John.

I too have several variants of the 78th one printed sewn to epaulette and a standard printed variation.

Phill

Attachment 1230792

Attachment 1230793

jwp
    ?

Thanks Phil, I also have a few pairs of sign on KD sliders and a few uncut one's I found in the back of dad's paybook ! pic of dad wearing sliders, pity the battleaxe is not visible !!.