Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW2 ruptured Duck Patch?

Article about: Hi guys, I'm just wondering if this patch is original WW2 manufacture? I take it that the end of WW2 was the only time they were issued, not before or after? I have got loads of these all in

?

Default Re: WW2 ruptured Duck Patch?

It looks almost khaki. I wonder if it for a shirt?
    Semper Fi
    Phil

A different shade but here is my grandfather's on his service jacket. Doesn't have one on the shirt.

WW2 ruptured Duck Patch?

FYI the Ruptured Duck was issued to service personnel who were about to leave the military with an Honorable Discharge it also allowed them to continue to wear their uniform for up to thirty days after they were discharged since there was a clothing shortage at that time. This also served to show the MP's that they were in transit and not AWOL. Most servicemembers thought the eagle looked more like a duck; and, because it meant they were going home, the popular saying was, "They took off like a Ruptured Duck"...hence the nickname.

Quote by sargetom View Post
    FYI the Ruptured Duck was issued to service personnel who were about to leave the military with an Honorable Discharge it also allowed them to continue to wear their uniform for up to thirty days after they were discharged since there was a clothing shortage at that time. This also served to show the MP's that they were in transit and not AWOL. Most servicemembers thought the eagle looked more like a duck; and, because it meant they were going home, the popular saying was, "They took off like a Ruptured Duck"...hence the nickname.
    Very good.
    You got to love it one someone give you great info like this.
    chris

Another reason why they wore them was so when they went home and could continue to wear their uniform, so civilians would not bash them for not participating in the war...
    Its sad to think that was an issue, especially since anything was really participating in the war weather you were making food for it, building weapons, or fighting.
    There are many different styles for different uses, it was worn on the Class A jackets, actual shirts, overcoats, and they even made a blue version for navy jumpers.

Thanks for the help guys, I knew the story of the patch courtesy of Mr Bill Shea actually I always thought it sounded like a great name for a pub.

Quote by rogge16 View Post
    Andy: I know nothing about ruptured duck patches but these were my grandfather's. They are original.

Luke

Attachment 503289Attachment 503290Attachment 503304
    Thanks Luke for showing in the knowledge that this was a long time ago! Thanks for your reference as I have a type here I've only seen in my own collection!

and...another purpose of the ruptured duck patch was to allowed soldiers to travel fare-free on buses and trains....a soldier was not allowed to have civilian clothing in his possession and with clothing shortages mentioned above, the uniform was usually all he had
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2