Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

WWI or WWII Australian hat badge

Article about: This is my first piece of Australian kit could anybody tell me is it WWI or WWII . Its maker marked but I cant make it out. Thanks for any help. Gary

?

Default Re: WWI or WWII Australian hat badge

I like your slider panzer, I have teo and they are going up in price

?

I believe these badges were made on the formation of the AIF in 1914.... Prior to that, militia units had their own badges, many of them sporting a rising sun design....The story goes that when the AIF was formed a suitable badge was needed, and a staff officer took inspiration fom a bayonet display in army HQ in Melbourne. It consisted of an arsy of bayonets in a semi circular pattern areound a crown, the badge is very similar to this. I believe the original bayonet display is now in defence HQ in Canberra. I remember seeing it when it was in Sydney at Victoria barracks in the early 90's

?

Sweat thanks for the info. I knew I would get my answer from someone from Australia. Gary

?

No worries mate, will post pics later tonight

Gday,
    This is the bayonet display AMTG mentioned.The original Rising sun was based on this.
    WWI or WWII Australian hat badge

The original 1904 (the classic ww1-2 Rising Sun) badge itself whilst based on the above display was actually a design by J.R.Gaunt in Birmingham UK.This would explain the slider style of early badges.
    Last edited by Thanatos; 03-01-2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: added text

?

Dave thanks for posting the photo . I wonder if my wife will let me make one for the house. Gary

No worries Gary.
    The 1904 design was used in both WW's and are virtualy the same as AMTG has stated,some very minor manufactures diffrences only.I have heard stories of 2rd A.I.F. personel wearing their fathers Rising Suns from the first war.
    Good luck with your wife mate.

?

Thanks for posting the pic, and you are right it was a 1904 design, not 1914 as I stated

?

Thanks I'll need it . I think if my dad was in WWI and his hat badge was the same as mine I would wear his to. Just as a good luck charm. Besides its a great looking badge. Gary

It's my fav.but I am a tad byist
    Same here,would wear it/them for sure.
    Cheers mate

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast