Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

WWI or WWII Australian hat badge

Article about: This is my first piece of Australian kit could anybody tell me is it WWI or WWII . Its maker marked but I cant make it out. Thanks for any help. Gary

?

Default Re: WWI or WWII Australian hat badge

The very first rising sun badge, designed in the 1890's for the NSW horse resembles the 1904 rising sun.....story goes it was modelled on the logo found on jam tins issued to the troops....

The modern rising sun badge reintroduced in the 1990's simply has " the Australian army" in the scroll. I have a few of them from when i was in the army, including th one I wore on my slouch hat in Iraq.......it is an iconic badge design and unmistakably Ausdie

The badge itself is called 'the General Service badge'-nicknamed the'Rising Sun' or the 'Sea of Swords'-the exact origin of the design is obscure but versions were used during the Boer War 1899-1902-believed to have been inspired by an advertising sign on a jam factory-the basic design is still used today although the legend has changed a number of times since WW2 as well as currently using the Queens Crown for the reign of HM Queen Elizabeth II.

?

Anybody have a image of the jam tin or sign .

Hoadleys Jams of Melbourne's Rising Sun brand is where the "Rising Sun" title for the badge originates as they looked very similar.
    Large quanties of this brand of jam was sent to Australians serving in South Africa and the connection was formed between the two.The Hoadley factory was next door to Melbournes Victoria Barracks and returning Victorian troopers from this conflict were sometimes called "Hoadleys Horse".
    It's a little disappointing really that our iconic badge is named after a brand of jam.
    It's a funny old world sometimes.

?

its a typical Aussie story

The 1902 design which was similar to the Hoadley Jam logo.

WWI or WWII Australian hat badge

?

Some times the truth is stranger then fiction.

Quote by AMTG View Post
    its a typical Aussie story
    Yep

?

Dave nice badge

Got to say, if any one nation was going to have something as iconic as this hat badge based on a jam tin it is going to be ours! I love the badge and I love its pedigree, is'nt Australia fun?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast