MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII Australian Made Raider & 1st Marine Division Patch

Article about: Hello everyone, I recently became interested in USMC patches along with German & US Airborne patches. I'm trying to be patient and hold out for the theater made ones. Heres the ones Ive

Default WWII Australian Made Raider & 1st Marine Division Patch

Hello everyone, I recently became interested in USMC patches along with German & US Airborne patches. I'm trying to be patient and hold out for the theater made ones. Heres the ones Ive picked up, a felt Aussie Made 1st Marine & a woven Aussie made Raider. I hope you guys like them as much as I do

-John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Australian Made Raider & 1st Marine Division Patch   WWII Australian Made Raider & 1st Marine Division Patch  

?

Great patches, the marine raider is very hard to find Aussie made

?

Very Cool ,
    Thanks for sharing mate .
    How do you know that they are Aussie made ?
    Im not doubting at all , just curious.
    Cheers Rick

Hi Rick, to my knowledge the US made only one variation of felt 1st Marine Division patch. This US made example has a thick blue border and a gauze like backing so its hard to confuse it with the Australian felt example. Attached is a photo of the US made example I am describing.

The Raider patch is the classic "Bevo - Woven" style construction the Aussies used. There were many other Aussie made USMC patches that are of the same construction as my Raider. I attached a great reference from the late Garth Thompson's collection showing different Marine patches of said variation.

I'm very new to collecting USMC patches so I hope this explanation is adequate. Brig is very knowledgeable on the subject of USMC items, I often refer to his posts in my studies so I'm sure he can elaborate if I missed anything.

-John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Australian Made Raider & 1st Marine Division Patch  
    Attached Images Attached Images WWII Australian Made Raider & 1st Marine Division Patch 

?

Thanks John,
    Amazing how some things trigger your mind, I went digging through my unknown patches box and found one.
    It is came with a box full of NOS Australian army chevrons and WO patches from the 50's to 70's .
    I never knew of what to make of it or what it was so I threw it in the dunno box.
    It's not WW2 and of the same backing of some WO summer dress patches.
    Very stiff construction , 3" x 3" .
    See pics and let me know what you make of it thanks.
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1348345

Attachment 1348346

Rick, I've never seen the variant you posted before. I recall reading posts about a repro Raider patch that is coming out of Japan. The main differences I see is the shape of the skull & the dots in the white content. Here's a side by side comparison with my patch.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Australian Made Raider & 1st Marine Division Patch  

In addition, I have been watching another example on eBay that I believe to be a reproduction. In my opinion, the patch had its backing ripped off to fool the buyer. Its near impossible for the fakers to reproduce the "burlap" backing that original Aussie made woven patches have. Maybe this patch started its life similar to the example Rick posted? Link to auction: WW2 ? U.S.Marine 1st MAC Raider Battalion skull patches and badge | eBay

Pics of patch in question included.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Australian Made Raider & 1st Marine Division Patch   WWII Australian Made Raider & 1st Marine Division Patch  

?

I missed these when they were first posted.
    Excellent Devil Dog Patches John.
    Vert nice collection.
    We have a local member of the Raider who does our Gun shows My eyes popped out when I first saw it and had to ask if he was one of those. He said I sure am son. So I had to give him a Semper Fi Handshake. He has his Raider patch displayed on his table under glass display. Never for sale.it a look and DON'T TOUCH type thing.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thank you Phil! They certainly are a hardcore bunch, I don't want to imagine what he'd do to the person who touches his patch.

?

"In addition, I have been watching another example on eBay that I believe to be a reproduction. In my opinion, the patch had its backing ripped off to fool the buyer. Its near impossible for the fakers to reproduce the "burlap" backing that original Aussie made woven patches have. Maybe this patch started its life similar to the example Rick posted?"

The plot thickens , Im more than happy to chop this up for a look just out of curiosity .
    I wouldn't mind betting it will look the same underneath .
    Bearing in mind, my one has been sitting in a box for at least 20 years so it isn't a new item .
    I threw in in there because it glowed under UV and looked to me like some sort of fantasy patch , and I had no idea what it was anyhow at the time.
    Cheers Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast