Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII British Irish Scotish BULLION Crest Shield Patch ?? VIRTUS IPSA NITITUR ARMIS SUIS FIRMISSIMA

Article about: OK...here's one that has stumped me and I need some help! I got this in a box lot at an auction with alot of other WWII patches and some German items too. There were some RARE patches in thi

Default WWII British Irish Scotish BULLION Crest Shield Patch ?? VIRTUS IPSA NITITUR ARMIS SUIS FIRMISSIMA

OK...here's one that has stumped me and I need some help! I got this in a box lot at an auction with alot of other WWII patches and some German items too. There were some RARE patches in this box, so I'm thinking this may be rare as well.... I have translated the motto: Bravery is Best Sustained by Arms. I did a Google search and evidently this is possibly an Irish motto and a family crest. BUT...it could also be British or Scotish... ANY information on this would be greatly appreciated! This patch is very well made with alot of bullion used and some nice felt. The entire patch is large---4" wide and 5" tall. Thanks in advance for all the help and hopefully I can get this identified! WWII British Irish Scotish BULLION Crest Shield Patch ??  VIRTUS IPSA NITITUR ARMIS SUIS FIRMISSIMAWWII British Irish Scotish BULLION Crest Shield Patch ??  VIRTUS IPSA NITITUR ARMIS SUIS FIRMISSIMAWWII British Irish Scotish BULLION Crest Shield Patch ??  VIRTUS IPSA NITITUR ARMIS SUIS FIRMISSIMAWWII British Irish Scotish BULLION Crest Shield Patch ??  VIRTUS IPSA NITITUR ARMIS SUIS FIRMISSIMA

Default Re: WWII British Irish Scotish BULLION Crest Shield Patch ?? VIRTUS IPSA NITITUR ARMIS SUIS FIRMISSIMA

Hello dare,

It's de coat of arms for de Irish O'Dowd clan...To be sure it is!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default Re: WWII British Irish Scotish BULLION Crest Shield Patch ?? VIRTUS IPSA NITITUR ARMIS SUIS FIRMISSIMA

Thanks for the info! Does it have ANYTHING to do with WWII?? Like I said, EVERYTHING...and I mean everything...in that box was from WWII...

Dunno...but it's beautifully made and of the period and I like it! I wouldn't mind having one myself!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I may sell it...but I would like to know what exactly it is before I do!

Blazer badge I would assume.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I think Jerry's got it pretty well nailed!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

A very nice patch.
    The motto is "Virtus Ipsa Suis Firmissima Nititur Armis". Or in Irish "Bíonn crógacht is seasmhaí faoi chothú arm".
    In English - Bravery is Best Sustained by Arms.

Cheers, Patrick

Thanks for the input. I'm very sorry, but what do you mean by "blazer badge"?? Do you mean a patch that was sewn onto a coat (blazer) or is that the name of a regiment or division in the army? Thanks too Patrick for the the Irish translation....I did not know that!

?

Quote by excalibr View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm very sorry, but what do you mean by "blazer badge"?? Do you mean a patch that was sewn onto a coat (blazer) or is that the name of a regiment or division in the army? Thanks too Patrick for the the Irish translation....I did not know that!
    When I first saw it, I instantly thought "Blazer badge" as in a patch/badge sewn onto a blazer/jacket, usually on the left breast pocket, (in the UK at least).
    Some beautiful work involved with this patch, and until one of the guys identified it as belonging to one of the Irish clans, I didnt have a clue as to what it was.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast