Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII RAF Ensign

Article about: picked up today and something I long wanted, a WWII period RAF Ensign. It has all the construction features for a text book example manufactured before the end of WWII and from sometime afte

Default WWII RAF Ensign

picked up today and something I long wanted, a WWII period RAF Ensign.

It has all the construction features for a text book example manufactured before the end of WWII and from sometime after the adoption of the RAF Ensign in 1921.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII RAF Ensign   WWII RAF Ensign  

WWII RAF Ensign   WWII RAF Ensign  

WWII RAF Ensign  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Ooh, I say!

You can see that flapping on an ASR launch alright...
    Bloomin’ luverly.

Jolly well done, Jerry!

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Ooh, I say!

You can see that flapping on an ASR launch alright...
    Bloomin’ luverly.

Jolly well done, Jerry!
    Thanks.

Did you see the film on this afternoon with the RAF ASR Launches in action? The sea shall not have them, talk about coincidence!
    Regards,

Jerry

?

No, I didn’t, but I’m pretty sure I’ve got it ... somewhere!
    I’ll have to dig it out. Cracking film.

Love it Jerry

Nice one Jerry
    This is just the sort of stuff I am always referring to as the "backround to the collection"

As well as a Union Flag I have a large RN White Ensign that I just couldn't resist

I am sure there is a method but I find these type of flags very hard to date as I know from my own experience that exactly the same construction was still in use as far as the late '90s maybe even yet. I think part numbers where visible are the most likely answer.

One thing I do find is usually missing is the brass Inglefield clips. During my service it was nearly always a wooden toggle at the top of the hoist and nothing at the bottom ( one had to come up with a good knot!!).

I haven't seen the film you mention but there is an ASR launch fully restored at Portsmouth often moored at Gunwharf that I sometimes get to see when I go for a motorcycle ride in the summer. Didn't they call them "Spitfires of the Sea"? I know they used to often recover a downed pilot from the Channel before the Luftwaffe knew to start looking for him!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

One of the clues to look for on dating wartime or earlier flags is the li es running through the background colour, this applies to all wartime flags.

Ill add a pic in a minute.
    Regards,

Jerry

pics showing the feature I mentioned which is as far as I am aware only seen on WWII or earlier manufactured ensigns.

It is easier to see on the RN ensign, but it can be seen on the RAF ensign as well.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII RAF Ensign   WWII RAF Ensign  

Regards,

Jerry

A few pics borrowed from the net showing the RAF air sea rescue launches flying the RAF ensign

WWII RAF Ensign  
    Regards,

Jerry