Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WWII White Ensign

Article about: Good afternoon gents, Being a former "Pongo" myself I was never really incline to persue naval militaria until my son joined the ships company of HMS Queen Elizabeth (he did 9 year

Thank you....v interesting. Evidence always top-trumps "IMO"..... :-)

?

Watchdogs flag is a great flag would love to own it myself and do think it has the right look from ww2 and wouldnt question it being from that period at all but would deffo question the 27 2 1940 mark on it but a great flag all the same

you certainly seem to have quite a collection....thanks for flagging it up................'see what I did there?

?

lol ye i have quite a few only a couple from ww2 an raf station flag 12f by 6ft and a british army union jack 15 ft by 9 ft most of my others are pretty recent military flags got a huge 18ft by 9ft union jack was purchased along with the 14f by 8 ft white ensign both supposedly from hms ocean but no provenance with them but the ship was in sunderland when i bought these flags which is just up the road from me apparently given to the guy i purchased them from by robert pedre

?

Heres a few for sale if anyones after some prices are bargains at the minute

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-O...sAAOSw0exaBgvz

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-R...cAAOSwa0VaCJE0

the 2nd 1 there could be pre ww2 as looks like it is made of linen/hessian

Quote by BRIOLF View Post
    hi the flag looks good have seen a few of these, one thing i would say is i think date and year stamp has been added imo
    Nope, this is perfectly correct for a military flag of the period.

Regards
    Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Heres a few for sale if anyones after some prices are bargains at the minute

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-O...sAAOSw0exaBgvz

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-R...cAAOSwa0VaCJE0

the 2nd 1 there could be pre ww2 as looks like it is made of linen/hessian
    First one looks OK from these pictures (I am using my mobile phone though) but condition is only fair. The other one is shown back to front and looks more like a banner than a flag.
    Hessian cloth is what sand bags are made of and is very different to linen cloth. A flag like this should be made of woven wool cloth.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Nice selection of ensigns- being an ex-matelot I really ought to get myself one. Biggest problem is finding somewhere to display/fly it from. Somewhere I have the obligatory photo of myself in square rig stood in front of an ensign when I was in the mob... we all seem to have had that photo taken!

?

Regards
    Mark

hi mark well thats a new 1 for me something i have never seen b4 the only thing i have seen is a year marking on flags and not day and month good to learn something new thanks

Regards
    Mark

hi mark well thats a new 1 for me something i have never seen b4 the only thing i have seen is a year marking on flags and not day and month good to learn something new thanks
    Just looking back at this thread and realised my reply wasn't complete, not sure why but I seem to have missed a bit. The small full date stamp is actually the date of issue ie when it was taken into use so that it can be clearly stated that a flag has been in use for a particular length of time thus indicating a "due for replacement date". The date of manufacture is expressed simply by the year eg 1940 etc. It certainly doesn't appear on every flag as it is something done at the very end of the supply chain probably at unit level as an accounting procedure.

Regards

Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2