Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1 & 2 quart canteens

Article about: 1943 1 quart and 1945 2 quart latex canteens with carriers. Rich A. in Pa.

?

Default 1 & 2 quart canteens

1943 1 quart and 1945 2 quart latex canteens with carriers. Rich A. in Pa.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1 & 2 quart canteens   1 & 2 quart canteens  

1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

Default Re: 1 & 2 quart canteens

Hi Rich,
    There a couple of nice finds you've got yourself there , these again are now rare especially the 1943 dated one that's very early as I don't believe the production models were produce before that date, as this was one of the items tested during the U.S. Army combat equipment review of 1942-43, which evenly brought about most of the late war uniforms and field gear changes. I've looked at quite a few of these collapsible bladder canteens over the years and now even have one in my own collection. Also there appears to be quite a few variations in design and also finish both in the colours used, the number of eyelets at the base and finally the way in which the canteen attaches to the other equipment. This idea was quite sound but from a design point of view the first pattern canteen is a completely nightmare, the two hook arrangement for attaching the canteen to a Pistol or Rifle belt just does not work, as soon as you crouch or sit down the canteen detaches itself from the rest of your combat gear, I know because I tried it out for myself LOL, no wonder they modified the design and fitted a shoulder strap instead.

Nige H
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

Nige H,What one do you have? Rich A. in Pa.

?

Hi Rich,
    Mine is a first patten 1 quart canteen with an all Olive drab Shade # 7 cover with matching binding and webbing, my cover is the 2nd version of that model as the drainage eyelets in the front face of the cover point inwards as the rolled edge of the eyelet and securing washer are on the outside of the cover, apparently this change was made early on in the production run to reduce the wear between the rubberised bladder and these two eyelets during use.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

I was wondering. Rich A. in Pa.