Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1938 British Rangefinder Sight Made By C. P. Goerz?

Article about: Hi all. I picked this sight up out of curiosity as it is not a type I have seen before. Admittedly it is in poor condition but I am intrigued by the fact that just a year before the outbreak

Default 1938 British Rangefinder Sight Made By C. P. Goerz?

Hi all. I picked this sight up out of curiosity as it is not a type I have seen before. Admittedly it is in poor condition but I am intrigued by the fact that just a year before the outbreak of war a German company was supplying the British Army with gun sights. I know that the optics were exceptional quality but its not something I have come across before. Does anyone know what this would have been used on? Any comments would be appreciated. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1938 British Rangefinder Sight Made By C. P. Goerz?   1938 British Rangefinder Sight Made By C. P. Goerz?  

1938 British Rangefinder Sight Made By C. P. Goerz?   1938 British Rangefinder Sight Made By C. P. Goerz?  

1938 British Rangefinder Sight Made By C. P. Goerz?  

As to what this is for, im afraid i cannot help, but you may find that this may be an explanation for the company:

The C.P. Goerz American Optical Company was established in 1899, in New York City, as a U.S. subsidiary of the German Goerz company (Optische Anstalt C.P. Goerz).
    In 1926, the German firm merged with Contessa-Nettel, Ernemann and ICA to form Zeiss-Ikon.
    However, the New York division remained an independent company and still produced optics under the name C.P Goerz

Thanks for the info. That seems to clear it up.