Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1940 field phone ?????

Article about: I picked up this phone today with some webbing and other gear for \\$40 AU the guy said he was unsure weather it was a field phone for the military or not. regardless I think the webbing was w

Default 1940 field phone ?????

I picked up this phone today with some webbing and other gear for $40 AU the guy said he was unsure weather it was a field phone for the military or not. regardless I think the webbing was worth more then the $40 I paid so I'm quiet happy either way . here are some pictures any help and info would be great
    cheers matty .

1940 field phone ?????1940 field phone ?????1940 field phone ?????1940 field phone ?????1940 field phone ?????1940 field phone ?????1940 field phone ?????1940 field phone ?????1940 field phone ?????1940 field phone ?????1940 field phone ?????1940 field phone ?????1940 field phone ?????1940 field phone ?????1940 field phone ?????

?

I have a few of those, I always thought that the ones with the Alm case were Canadian made, while the ones in the wooden case were British made, however I am probably wrong in that.
    Yes it is a Field phone, these can be wired into the 6 or 10 line switchboards or 2 can be wired together with WD1. You can run these off 2 D cell batteries.
    However the problem with these is the tuning unit or buzzer unit( that's the box with 2 dials) they tend to burn out, or just won't work due to age, they cannot be repaired as they are sealed on the inside, I have a couple of these that have buzzer units that are N/S, so I always look for them, but they are hard to find, also learning to set the buzzer takes time and can be a problem.
    When in use the handset sits on the "U" shaped bar that pulls out.
    The later units have a few different words for the letters, Beer becomes Bravo ect.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

apparently this one is Australian made in Sydney NSW So I was just told by a friend that came over for a look he said the 4th picture has the plate which place it was made??? ? I have no idea though and I think he is just taking an educated guess . Thanks for all the info .I would love to see one that works this one is pretty old and ratty but appears to all be there except the morose key and the screw for the bell. it even has the wire ans connection for morose receiver inside the battery box. will have to give it a go though if I can find the right battery's I need for it thanks again for all the good info Was the cash I paid a good price or are these cheap as ??\
    cheers matty

?

Early war British Phones of this pattern were made in aluminium but this was later changed to Bakelite.