Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1941 Dated British Mountain Boots

Article about: A recent purchase: a pair of 1941 date British Mountain Boots. Soles are heavily studded:what I wondering about is why the side cleats are marked US? a reference to the production of these s

Default 1941 Dated British Mountain Boots

A recent purchase: a pair of 1941 date British Mountain Boots. Soles are heavily studded:what I wondering about is why the side cleats are marked US? a reference to the production of these specific parts? Leather was quite dry and I had to grease it a lot, but I find the result quite satisfactory.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1941 Dated British Mountain Boots   1941 Dated British Mountain Boots  

1941 Dated British Mountain Boots   1941 Dated British Mountain Boots  

1941 Dated British Mountain Boots  

The boots would of been made by the manufacturer in England and the studs and cleats could of been added at any time later. It was not uncommon to share equipment and training between countries so I guess the US cleats were what was available at the time of fitting the boots out after issue.

Hello Roger! as a matter of fact, one can read in Martin Brayley's and Richard Ingram's "The World War II Tommy": [...] the army arctic boots "Finnish Pattern" , an early design somehow retro - were fitted with US Army cleats for use as mountain boots" (p. 55). Even if this is not a case of "Finnish Pattern" boots, it looks like the use of US Army cleats on British Army mountain boots was quite common!