Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1944 Dated British Wooden Ammo Box?

Article about: Hi all. I have had this box for some time but have never been able to find out what it is. Appears to be British and dated 1944? other markings that I can see are DEC on one of the joints. I

Default 1944 Dated British Wooden Ammo Box?

Hi all. I have had this box for some time but have never been able to find out what it is. Appears to be British and dated 1944? other markings that I can see are DEC on one of the joints. I initially thought it could be for Mills bombs but it seems to have different dimensions. In total it is approximately 22 inches long, 10 inches wide and 7.5 inches deep. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1944 Dated British Wooden Ammo Box?   1944 Dated British Wooden Ammo Box?  

1944 Dated British Wooden Ammo Box?   1944 Dated British Wooden Ammo Box?  

Could it be a Bren gun ammo box ? The ones I've seen
    though, had hinged lids with rope handles, and were
    slightly larger.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I certainly see what you mean. But as you said the Bren gun boxes have hinged lids. I suspect the handles were originally rope but have been replaced for post war use. Also, I very much doubt the paint is original.

NCA
    ?

I think that's the box code rather than the date...in that case according to my booklet on ammunition its for smoke generators.

I could well be wrong though but its as close as I can get!