Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1953 water jerry can for Austin Champ

Article about: Hi all Won this on Ebay. Any information on colour scheme and what the numbers and letters mean on the side would be appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone. Simon

Default 1953 water jerry can for Austin Champ

Hi all
    Won this on Ebay. Any information on colour scheme and what the numbers and letters mean on the side would be appreciated.
    Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone.
    Simon
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1953 water jerry can for Austin Champ   1953 water jerry can for Austin Champ  

Gloss or satin black,with white indentations as you see it,cant help with stencils just lot numbers in the stores i guess.There quite a sort after can.

Thanks for that. I also read somewhere that these cans were painted in a very light brown colour, which helped them to be distinguished from fuel cans. I believe the Champs never carried fuel cans, only water.

I see from a debate on HMVF that the regulaions in the 50,s stated camo brown and early sixties that they were black,ive been collecting cans for 40 years and never seen one in brown,yours as depicted appears original and correct and same pattern as ww2 so i would keep it as that my self.Oct 52 regs state the jerry can water is provided in on board kit.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1953 water jerry can for Austin Champ   1953 water jerry can for Austin Champ  

Again, thanks for clearing that up. It was that first article I was referring to, however I had not seen that other one. Ironically I believe my Champ was passed onto the TA in Georgetown. Therefore, black it is.
    Simon