Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

2.25" rocket container mk2 benco 1945

Article about: Hello all, First post here. I was recently given an old rusty container by my neighbors. I recently started to sand it down to repaint it, with the intention of using it as a tool box. As I

?

Default 2.25" rocket container mk2 benco 1945

Hello all,

First post here. I was recently given an old rusty container by my neighbors. I recently started to sand it down to repaint it, with the intention of using it as a tool box. As I was sanding it down I noticed an inscription on top, it reads " 2"25 rocket container mk2 mod 0 439195 mc benco 1945" it has 4 latches, 2 on each side. I was hoping someone could give me a little more info about this container, I certainly didn't think it was that old. Here is a picture, any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Mccool; 07-25-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Default Re: 2.25" rocket container mk2 benco 1945

Well, I can tell you it is British, somebody will be along to add a bit more
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Thank you very much Vegar, that gives me somewhere to start.

The only possibility I can think of is the rockets used by RAF aircraft (such as Typhoons) against tanks etc., called the RP-3. The armour piercing version was known as the 25lb Rocket (from the weight of the warhead). If I am right, it would be quite an interesting piece. There is a fairly good Wikipedia page on the RP-3: RP-3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

It looks somewhat modified to me, but i am not 100% sure of what an RP-3 warhead container looked like

Can we see some better pictures of it and the inscription?

Rob

?

wow, great info thanks!

very interesting wikipedia page, though it seems those RP-3's measure 55" long, my container only measures 29" x 11" x 11".

I think the hinges and the lock were added later, they do not seem original. I plan on removing both the hinges and the lock. Here are a few more pictures, I could not get the inscription all in one picture.

Quote by Mccool View Post
    wow, great info thanks!

very interesting wikipedia page, though it seems those RP-3's measure 55" long, my container only measures 29" x 11" x 11".

I think the hinges and the lock were added later, they do not seem original. I plan on removing both the hinges and the lock. Here are a few more pictures, I could not get the inscription all in one picture.
    No, I wasn't thinking of the entire rocket going into the box, just the 25lb warhead I was reading the inscription to mean 2 x '25 rockets', i.e two of them in the box. From what I have just seen online, the rockets came in several containers and were assembled before loading. Damned if i can find a picture of any of them though (without joining another forum just to get the pix).

I could be wrong, this is just a guess really. I agree though, hinges and lock don't belong and should go.

Rob

?

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    No, I wasn't thinking of the entire rocket going into the box, just the 25lb warhead

Rob
    That makes more sense, excuse my ignorance haha

I certainly appreciate the guess and all the help, it definitely gives me a place to start searching. Thank you so much.

I'll be sand blasting it soon, hopefully I find more identifying marks on it once it's stripped of all the old paint.

The Hinges are old style gate hinges and MMA welded to the box and not original.The poor weld and fit up are a good indicators.
    A nice munitions box but.
    Cheers
    Dave

Could the box be for the 2" Naval rocket Mk2 see early rockets and missiles, boxer and hale rockets
    Its not a box that I recognise for 3" RP .
    Hangarman