Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

2 US Field Telephones WWII

Article about: Hello Gents, I have stumbled upon a box in my attic,, which I had forgotten about,, that had 2 Field radios in it. I will clean these up and use them as book ends for my library. A small sto

Default 2 US Field Telephones WWII

Hello Gents, I have stumbled upon a box in my attic,, which I had forgotten about,, that had 2 Field radios in it. I will clean these up and use them as book ends for my library. A small story on the first radio marked with the red square on top. I picked this radio up for $20 at a local fleamarket near 20 yrs ago. The only thing it looks like is missing is the little light bulb protector on the top. When I got home,,I wanted to see how well the side handle cranked if it was going to be a hard turn. I think over the years it became a little resistant,, So I put my hand on top of the radio to hold it down so it would not fall over while turning and.................A full charge had flew up my arm to which it made my arm shudder. Seems as though while holding the radio in place my hand was over the 2 terminals for which the wire leads went out to the partner radio it was in contact with. This became a novelty joke for visitors as i told them to crank the handle...and this electric charge was not like some cheap gag store gift with a little battery.

A Month had gone by and yet another Field radio had come to the Flea market from a friend who had a table set up selling some old stuff. This next radio had white numbers on top and was complete. Through a trade of some old medals I acquired this radio,,as soon as I got home and knowing better now that I was careful on cranking the handle on this radio which went smoothly.
    I hooked up 2 wires from this radio to the partner radio across the room and began to crank the handle............a bell was ringing!! This thing still worked!!,,and i also turned the screw on the top to make silent the bell and activate the little light on top!! This too worked also as this was for not the enemy to hear the bell ringing and giving away the US position in the field.

I went back and forth with this for a while. Pretty cool..but unfortunately I tried with the help of another person to see if a voice could be heard after charging the battery......None!!
    I removed the side screws on the radio with the white marking and inside was some white sand at the bottom of the radio and also dated 1944.

My question to the equipment collectors,,is there a way to judge by the markings on the top where these radios were designated to go to? The radio with the white sand in it ,,definitely was from a beach landing......at least I like to think that
    Any information would be welcomed and below are the pics of the 2 radio types. Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 US Field Telephones WWII   2 US Field Telephones WWII  

2 US Field Telephones WWII   2 US Field Telephones WWII  

2 US Field Telephones WWII  
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Default re: 2 US Field Telephones WWII

Hi Larry.

I was told years ago that any US equipment that had that orange making on them was given to the French after the war and later given back to us.
    I do not know if this is true.

chris

the orange markers and the signal inspector mark.. these are pot war examples in the canvas cases, the war times ones were leather cased, parts maybe wartime, but the design etc is post war