Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

.303 rifle ammo bandoleers

Article about: To straighten out a misconception, the "MG" in the printed section of the bandolier is for the Footscray Ammunition Factory No.2 which came into being in 1940 and this identifier w

?

Default Re: .303 rifle ammo bandoleers

Thanks for the link to the website Pete I will have a look at it a little later I was digging through some boxes of P-37 webbing ,and packs this afternoon and came upon another interesting bandolier.
    I forgot I even had this one it was manufactured by C.G.C.F in 1921 and bares many inspection and refill stamps starting in 1922,1939,and again in the summer of 1945 I am quite surprised that it made it all the way through the war years without being discarded.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture .303 rifle ammo bandoleers   .303 rifle ammo bandoleers  

.303 rifle ammo bandoleers   .303 rifle ammo bandoleers  

.303 rifle ammo bandoleers   .303 rifle ammo bandoleers  

Last edited by Mark K; 10-07-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Always good to see old threads brought up and new info and items addded.

Thanks guys.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hello, I just joined this site to ask a question: I have a 50 round (still loaded) good condition bandoleer mark 7 dated 24/8/45 MW and was wondering what it might be worth? Also I have figured out that the MW stands for factory 6 Welchpool Australia but was wondering what the case head stamp MF 57 means?

Cheers Steve.

?

Steve, the headstamp on the ammunition in the bandolier should be MW 45 VII as I don't think I have seen a headstamp from MW as MW 45 7, if , however the headstamp in the bandolier is MF 57 7 (Footscray, Victoria) it probably means someone has just repacked the bandolier with later ammunition. Saying that, I have seen a 1950 Australian bandolier repacked with MW 44 VII in chargers and restencilled with MW 24-3-44. See if there is a bandolier manufacturer initial and date anywhere on the bandolier.
    Value would only be as shooting ammunition, I believe MW was not the sweetest but MF ammunition of later years is excellent.
    Les

Thanks Les,

Great reply! yep they all are stamped MF 57 7 so I am guessing you are right and it has been packed with later ammo. Does the 57 stand for 1957? Will just hold on to it now I guess if not worth anything. I am a sporting shooter/hunter so don't have much to do with old ammo, is it safe to keep for ever or do primers become unsafe?

Just found one round (probably more) that is printed 1942 GII MF? I find it odd that they don't have .303 stamped on them like all other ammo does?

?

Steve, MF 57 7 is Mark 7 ball manufactured at Footscray in 1957. Your MF 1942 GII ia a Mark II Tracer made at Footscray in 1942. G in the headstamp indicates Tracer, W indicates Armor Piercing, B indicates Incendiary, with the Roman or Arabic numerals indicating the Mark No. Tony Edwards (member of this forum) has put out a couple of excellent references on 303 ammunition which will answer your questions.
    Les

?

Quote by Steve416 View Post
    Just found one round (probably more) that is printed 1942 GII MF? I find it odd that they don't have .303 stamped on them like all other ammo does?
    First, thanks for the plug for my .303 books!

Steve - only commercial ammunition has the calibre ".303" included in the headstamp. British and Commonwealth military .303 inch ammunition does not. In fact, very little issue military ammo included the calibre in the headstamp. Some 9mm did, some .45ACP, 20mm and a few others. Experimental ammo often did, e.g. .270, .280, 4.85mm etc.

Actually, there is one .303 inch semi-experimental British military headstamp that includes ".303". Does anyone know what it is?

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

?

Just picked up two of these from an Australian seller for 12 Euros a piece (including shipping), for my British Infantry impression. Marked 47' and then 67'.

Martin

?

Here's mine guys...I can't find any reload stamps, which is too bad since that is a really neat story about the rectangle with the line through it!

The buttons say 'MODE DE PARIS', which is odd...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast