Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

'37 large pack

Article about: Not the most exciting item but does anyone recognise the straps on the back, i know they are not the correct straps but i don't recall a '37 strap with a flared buckle.

kc1
    ?

Default '37 large pack

Not the most exciting item but does anyone recognise the straps on the back, i know they are not the correct straps but i don't recall a '37 strap with a flared buckle.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture '37 large pack   '37 large pack  

'37 large pack  

Default Re: '37 large pack

Not strictly speaking 37 pattern straps, but they are wartime.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by kc1 View Post
    Not the most exciting item but does anyone recognise the straps on the back, i know they are not the correct straps but i don't recall a '37 strap with a flared buckle.
    Yes, I recognise them. Straps with that type of buckle were heavy duty fasteners used on vehicles and, which is probably the answer here, on wireless installations in vehicles. I say this as the pack clearly belonged to a Royal Corps of Signals man. I have a few examples I could show you, they tend not to slip under heavy weight, as the Twigg buckles on 1937 equipment do.

Rob

kc1
    ?

Thanks for the replies, please show what you have Rob.
    On another note, and from your user name, have you read the guns of war by George G Blackburn its about Canadian Artillery post D-Day and hardtack the chicken?

Quote by kc1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, please show what you have Rob.
    On another note, and from your user name, have you read the guns of war by George G Blackburn its about Canadian Artillery post D-Day and hardtack the chicken?
    Here we go, sorry the pics aren't the best... lighting wasn't too good.

'37 large pack'37 large pack'37 large pack

These two straps are very similar to the ones on your pack, although shorter I would think (these are about 24" long). They are slightly different examples of Straps, Securing, No 4, which were used with wireless equipment. They actually form part of the installation for the Wireless Set No 22 in a 15cwt FFW Truck (ffw= fitted for wireless), and probably other sets too. Interestingly, their stores numbers are different, I don't know if that's a error or not, but I suspect it is. It could well be that your straps are a couple of Straps, Securing No ? , pressed into service as 1908 Pack Straps (they're not 37 Patt and neither is the pack).

Next up is this large canvas bag, known as a Jacket, Battery, Secondary, No 1 which is a cover/carrier for a large rechargeable battery (known to the army as Secondary Batteries). It's marked as the property of 237th Field Battery (from Lincoln I believe), which formed part of the 60th (North Midland) Field Regiment RA (a unit which was actually associated with the Chindits, but thats another story):

'37 large pack'37 large pack

All fastenings on this are the same heavy duty type as on the straps you have. They would need to be heavy duty for the top carrying strap in any case, as these batteries were extremely heavy, and this is a big sucker (19"x15"x10"). I have two of these (no batteries, this one just has a homemade box inside, so I use it to store things). They would have been used to power wireless sets.

'37 large pack'37 large pack

Nice pictures of my strangely upholstered couch there too. Yes I have read Blackburn's book many times, one of my favourites! It really does give you feeling you were there when you read it.. great book.

Rob

kc1
    ?

Thanks for your time and informative reply, regards

Quote by kc1 View Post
    Thanks for your time and informative reply, regards
    No problem. Here are two more pictures, this time from wireless manuals showing straps with the same buckle. One of the other features of the buckle is that they allow you to hitch the strap up tight easily and lock it off without loosening.

'37 large pack

Wireless Set No 33 in a 3-ton Wireless Lorry. Straps are visible securing the spare valve case (top right above Reception Set R107).

'37 large pack

Wireless Set No 22 in Airborne 5cwt Car (Jeep). Straps being used to secure Spare Valve Case and Wavemeter above rear wheel, and visible around battery in passenger footwell.

Rob

I just noticed the strap buckles and WOW this type of strap came with my Jeepy! I shrugged them off as civilian
    Thanks you have made my day Guys

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    I just noticed the strap buckles and WOW this type of strap came with my Jeepy! I shrugged them off as civilian
    Thanks you have made my day Guys
    At least you kept them Didn't you?

Rob

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    At least you kept them Didn't you?

Rob
    Yep I have them stowed on board