Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

44 pattern cutlery

Article about: Guys, I have two sizes of '44 pattern fork. were their two sizes manufactured or was the larger size the original pattern and then superseded by the smaller ? The large one is dated 1944 and

Default 44 pattern cutlery

Guys,
    I have two sizes of '44 pattern fork. were their two sizes manufactured or was the larger size the original pattern and then superseded by the smaller ?

The large one is dated 1944 and the 3 smaller forks I have are dated 1945. As you can see the larger one does not fit in the pouch.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 44 pattern cutlery   44 pattern cutlery  

44 pattern cutlery   44 pattern cutlery  

Quote by Roger M View Post
    Guys,
    I have two sizes of '44 pattern fork. were their two sizes manufactured or was the larger size the original pattern and then superseded by the smaller ?

The large one is dated 1944 and the 3 smaller forks I have are dated 1945. As you can see the larger one does not fit in the pouch.
    I can't answer the question about the cutlery itself but that is the type of pouch I was issued with in 1975. The KFS didn't fit then either!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Default British Issue Cutlery

Roger,

I'm afraid I can't help regarding manufacturers of '44 Pat cutlery either...

By the time I was issued my 'KFS' in the early to mid 90's (I think I had 2 issues, once from TA, then again on becoming a Regular in '95 - partly explaining multiple spoons!) 'normal' cutlery was provided.

Mark,

Thanks for your post. It never ceases to amaze me, what I find out from this site...

Did you receive '44 Pat cutlery, or was it 'normal' stuff like me?

I didn't receive one of those pouches with my KFS but I do remember seeing them around & didn't realise they were issued! Unfortunately I just thought they were some 'camping' item & made a substitute from an offcut of DPM instead … I might have scrounged (or maybe even paid for) an 'official' item if I'd known it was one, even if it wasn't a great fit

Anyway, unless the world wants another 'British issue cutlery' thread, I'll put this picture of (most of!) my issued KFS here:
    44 pattern cutlery

Most of it is "Hiram Wild' made (dated between 1991 & 94) but there's an 'HM&Co" spoon dated 1989 too.
    I suppose it does demonstrate there were at least 2 providers of differing '58 Pat cutlery (I'll call it that, since that was the contemporary webbing I was issued, although its probably not accurate to do so) at basically the same time… so there may have been for '44 Pat too?

Having assumed the Army had always just issued normal (albeit 'broad arrow' stamped) cutlery, of course, now I want a '44 Pat KFS & cover in my collection!
    Last edited by brickie501; 10-13-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Just a quick reply;

This is WWII and I still have a set that I used whilst I was serving.

I can't find it right now but I will post it when I do.

Regards

Mark

44 pattern cutlery44 pattern cutlery
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."