Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Advice on Garand bayonet

Article about: Hi everyone, I am looking at getting a Garand bayonet but don't know much about them - I have found one described as a 'cut down 1905 pattern bayonet', such as the one for sale on this site

Default Advice on Garand bayonet

Hi everyone, I am looking at getting a Garand bayonet but don't know much about them - I have found one described as a 'cut down 1905 pattern bayonet', such as the one for sale on this site Battleflag Militaria

Can anyone confirm for me that these modified bayonets were generally used during the war, and are there any obvious pitfalls with buying one? Any advice appreciated.

Douglas

Default Re: Advice on Garand bayonet

Douglas sadly I dont know anything about the garand bayonet but this site is very interesting.Thanks for share this with us

?

Yes the army cut down the longer bayonets. They are harder to find.

Thanks for that. Researching this myself, I am not at all sure that the bayonet on that site is cut down at all- one of my books says that some of them were made with short blades from 1943 and that the fuller on these does not go to the tip of the blade, like the one shown.

Can anyone confirm that this is a wartime bayonet (its unmarked apart from US on scabbard). Were they made postwar, or copied by other countries for example?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Advice on Garand bayonet   Advice on Garand bayonet  

?

That bayonet is in rough shape, which makes sense if its a 1905 model. You could easily get a much nicer WWII model for about $100-150 if you want a nice piece to display.