Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AIF Engineers Folding Saw

Article about: G'day all, These do not pop up very often and are an interesting concept, so I thought I would share my latest find. An engineers/armoured personnel chain saw? I am not sure the offical term

Default AIF Engineers Folding Saw

G'day all,
    These do not pop up very often and are an interesting concept, so I thought I would share my latest find.
    An engineers/armoured personnel chain saw? I am not sure the offical term for this tool. This one was probably been made in Australia but I am not sure, can someone ID the makers mark? A nice minty almost complete set (a shame its missing it's file). I had to spend an eternity getting the old paper and grease off, and gosh the blades were sharp!

I hate to think of the effort required to cut down even a small tree with this!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AIF Engineers Folding Saw   AIF Engineers Folding Saw  

AIF Engineers Folding Saw   AIF Engineers Folding Saw  

Default Before Pic

This is how I found it!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AIF Engineers Folding Saw  

Very nice, shame you un packed it, I only do that if I have more than one

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Very nice, shame you un packed it, I only do that if I have more than one
    Cheers mate. True I agree it is a shame to touch it, especially as a collectible item and I had a long think about it. In the end I thought it would be an excellent item to add to my school AIF 'museum'. The kids love seeing things like this and it was no good as an educational tool all wrapped and greased. This is one they won't be touching though!

Ahh the kids need a chain saw to play with!!
    Glad at least you got a shot of the original packing!

?

Here is my used example, made in the UK.
    Leather is stamped under the flap CLIFF WALSALL 1943 (arrow) and the blade end is stamped Francis Wood and Son, Sheffield (arrow). No stamps on the handles.

AIF Engineers Folding Saw

Oz.

?

Wood and Sheffield could be what is stamped on Christek,s blade but the stamp itself is not the same as mine. The manufacturing details such as the rivets and cast ends look to be the same.

Oz.

The basic design of the saw did not change much. I have two examples, a WW1 example in a leather case (See here: https://hatchfive.wordpress.com/2014...sts_position=0) and a post WW2 example in a green canvas case (see here: https://hatchfive.wordpress.com/2016/01/29/folding-saw/). I must confess I haven't tried to use either of mine yet, but it is interesting to note that the later example actually includes a dedicated pair of two part handles. Apparently troops used to use the file handles and pass them through the loops on the saw which then broke said handles them in short order. By issuing seperate handles the tool is much easier to use and less likely to have been damaged by incorrect use!

there was a guy in N.S.W last year selling about 20 of these, i purchased 2 i think..they are mint, just like yours

Thanks again for the info gents.

Regarding the maker I think Wood and Sheffield would be the best bet for this one, good spot Oz.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast