Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ammunition belt help

Article about: I bought this item back in the 80s at a flea market but have no clue as to the period or country it originates from. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, nic.

Default Ammunition belt help

I bought this item back in the 80s at a flea market but have no clue as to the period or country it originates from. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, nic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ammunition belt help   Ammunition belt help  

Ammunition belt help   Ammunition belt help  

Ammunition belt help  

?

Looks like a vintage British-type cartridge pouch belt ...., but other countries used similar cartridge belts

There is a Swedish cartridge belt, which looks similar for example.

Hi Nic, it is indeed Swedish.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thank you Ade and Scout. Which decade is it from, thank you, nic.

?

As its for the Swedish Mauser M/96 (i.e. 1896), it would be from around the turn of the (previous) century and ahead.

I believe, its called the M1900/M1910.

Thank you Scout for the extra info, nic.

?

Yep, Swedish of the "Mexican Pattern". Mexico adopted this pattern cartridge belt before anyone else and it was copied by several nations.

Very nice belt!

It is indeed Swedish, and is often mislabelled a "bandoleer" - is was never intended to be used as a bandoleer.
    The belt originates from a much older Swedish design - the Model 1898 cartridge belt. Digitalt Museum - Ammunitionsgördel m/1898

It was used extensively from about 1900 and until the last troops issued with the Swedish M/96 Mauser rifles were issued with something more up to date. I suspect your belt is of a late manufacture - possible late 1950s maybe even later. Although the design didn't change much.
    The utility hook on the belt, is for the entrenching tool. The small entrenching tool shovel had a hole in blade, and the shovel "hooked on" to the belt without the need for a carrier. The utility hook was introduced in 1912, making your belt an M/1900-12

The two square "rings" on the back, are for braces (although they were seldom used), or the corresponding hooks on the M/39 back pack (or older models). - much like on the German ammunition carriers.

To tell earlier belts apart from later belts, look for these signs:

The earliest belts are without the shovel hook on the left hand side.
    The earliest belts are all stitched.
    The riveted cartridge belts are the latest versions, and were used until the 1980's.
    The navy belts had only four pockets and no D-rings or utility hooks (for the M/1906-12 shovel).
    The earliest belts had piping around the pocket edges.

And there should always be time for some pictures:

Ammunition belt help

Ammunition belt help

Ammunition belt help

Thank you 37webbing for all the great info and pics. Very much appreciated.

Quote by comleyn View Post
    Thank you 37webbing for all the great info and pics. Very much appreciated.
    No problem.
    We all have our small niches, and Scandinavian equipment is my "speciality" so to speak.
    If you want to know a price, they range from everything between 20$ - 60$ depending on age, model, size, wear and tear. (Scandinavian prices)