Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Any idea what this is ?

Article about: This has been in it's tin box kicking around the shed for years and I've no idea what it's for. Some sort of range finder maybe not even military. Marked on the side is MKV1 NoB9032 CMCo . I

tstrainer
    ?

Default Any idea what this is ?

This has been in it's tin box kicking around the shed for years and I've no idea what it's for. Some sort of range finder maybe not even military. Marked on the side is MKV1 NoB9032 CMCo . It has a graduated scale at one end ,spirit level in the middle small pin hole in the other .
    Any ideas ?
    TC
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any idea what this is ?  

Default Re: Any idea what this is ?

i think your right on range finder
    edit* did a quick search on cmco came up with Columbus Mckinnon Corp who make things like crane hooks and other building machinery so this is probably made by them

tom

Quote by tstrainer View Post
    This has been in it's tin box kicking around the shed for years and I've no idea what it's for. Some sort of range finder maybe not even military. Marked on the side is MKV1 NoB9032 CMCo . It has a graduated scale at one end ,spirit level in the middle small pin hole in the other .
    Any ideas ?
    TC
    It's an 'Indian Clinometer', a device used in surveying to measure the height of an object. They are usually used with a 'plane table' and 'trough compass' to set them up nice and flat, and were standard military issue items in the British and Commonwealth armies. I suppose their most important use would have been within survey regiments of the Commonwealth Artillery, although every Artillery regiment would have had them for the use of their own regimental surveyors. The Royal Engineers would also have used them of course.

Definitely military, looks like a Mk VI example to me.

Rob
    Last edited by Battery Command Post; 11-03-2011 at 11:59 PM.

tstrainer
    ?

Many thanks guys for the response . I shall now go find a hill to test it on .
    TC

Thank's for the link Rob..
    And for anyone wanting to know what the Trough Compass is ..
    Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916