Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Anybody know anything about morse code keys?

Article about: Hi everyone, im looking for a little help on this one, I have found two of these morse code keys inamongst other militaria, but they don't look like any ive seen before, and far too crudely

Default Anybody know anything about morse code keys?

Hi everyone, im looking for a little help on this one, I have found two of these morse code keys inamongst other militaria, but they don't look like any ive seen before, and far too crudely made to be military

anybody have any ideas on them?

Anybody know anything about morse code keys?

It looks home made to me? But building this kind of thing was popular in the 1930's etc.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    It looks home made to me? But building this kind of thing was popular in the 1930's etc.

Cheers, Ade.
    I entirely agree with that! This was a very popular pastime back then, a bit like CB in the 70's was. Many magazines and books would show how to make a morse key and transmitter/receiver for enthusiasts at that time.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks guys, I wonder if these would have been a put together kit or literally home made.
    anyway many thanks for the help.

?

... --- .-. .-. -.-- --..-- / -.-. .- -. .----. - / .... . .-.. .--. / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.- / .- -. / .. -. - . .-. . ... - .. -. --. / .. - . -- / - .... --- ..- --. .... .-.-.-

Which, translates as...

Sorry, can't help you. An interesting item though.

Morse Code Translator

Banannamafia: I sent the photo to a company called Morse-City that still manufactures telegraph equipment, and got a quick reply from a technician named Ernie. Here is what he sent me: The item is a Western Union Morse Sender. Battery holder on left, top is telegraph sounder, middle is a light, bottom is switch for switching from sounder, or light. The other is the key for sending code by hand. The screw at the right side is to running to another unit to send code back and forth.

Bananamafia: I just got off the phone with the Morse-City technician, Ernie, who it turns out is my age. Anyway. The key you posted is probably a Boy Scout Merit Badge project that came out of Boys Life, the Scouting magazine. It is home-made and incorporates parts that were available from Western Union in the 1940's. It used a 1.5 volt battery and is a clicker system rather than a buzzer, which was more common. The clicker system, that being the sound you hear in old western movies when the railroad telegrapher is sending an urgent message to the cavalry, was unique to Western Union in this case. The light in the center of the board came on as the clicker clicked. So Ade and Big Ned called it right; it's home-made. Dwight

WHOA!!!
    many thanks for the research Dwight!!
    fascinating research, thankyou so much for your time!!!