Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Army and Navy Binoculars

Article about: Hi are these military or civilian issued please.any idea on timeframe only marked with a C inside a circle or G on top of case,Army and Navy printed on Binos but no date...............thanks

Default Army and Navy Binoculars

Hi are these military or civilian issued please.any idea on timeframe only marked with a C inside a circle or G on top of case,Army and Navy printed on Binos but no date...............thanks................Jake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Army and Navy Binoculars   Army and Navy Binoculars  

Army and Navy Binoculars  

I have always understood glasses such as these to have been commercially produced during the early part of the 20th Century and I think quite a few were purchased privately for use in WW1, so could be either really.

I've got vague memories of reading these binoculars marked Army & Navy were french produced!..

Canadian issue mark on the case, so used by them, or at least the case was.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I remembered the thread regarding the C inside rather than over the top jerry so maybe French produced and issued to Canadian troops?also would this be ww1 or later please............Jake.

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    I remembered the thread regarding the C inside rather than over the top jerry so maybe French produced and issued to Canadian troops?also would this be ww1 or later please............Jake.
    They are of the type that I would think of as being WWI period.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    They are of the type that I would think of as being WWI period.
    Yup, i'm with Jerry!.....

French Made WWI-era and used by both civilian and military, but the case looks civilian, so I am thinking these were a private purchase civilian pair.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I've got vague memories of reading these binoculars marked Army & Navy were french produced!..
    I have since bought a pair of these and they are marked Army & Navy Paris, so French indeed.

Civilian issue binos if officially accepted into service mostly have a S and a number after it which grades them for military use.

I also bought another French made pair of a different type, with a broad arrow mark and a S & # mark.

2 binos and 1 case
    Regards,

Jerry