Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Attic find British Slade Wallace belt?

Article about: Hi guy's, found this old belt in an attic and it's pretty dry. Is it a Slade Wallace belt and how old is it? Would you recommend a leather treatment and was it black, brown or buff?it has a

?

Default Attic find British Slade Wallace belt?

Hi guy's, found this old belt in an attic and it's pretty dry. Is it a Slade Wallace belt and how old is it? Would you recommend a leather treatment and was it black, brown or buff?it has a makers stamp on it but it is hard to read and has a stencil number 5company 06 battalion. Any info about it appreciated! Attic find British Slade Wallace belt?Attic find British Slade Wallace belt?Attic find British Slade Wallace belt?Attic find British Slade Wallace belt?

CBH
    ?

It's a Victorian Crown on the buckle so 1837-1901.
    The stamp looks like 185?, but it's hard to make out.
    I've found vinegar great for removing mildew, I'd suggest using a clean boot brush first, than vinegar.

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    It's a Victorian Crown on the buckle so 1837-1901.
    The stamp looks like 185?, but it's hard to make out.
    I've found vinegar great for removing mildew, I'd suggest using a clean boot brush first, than vinegar.
    Thanks Chris, looked like 1854 to me but not sure as you say its hard to see. Also not so much mildew but belt is very dry and stiff, not flexible really,

CBH
    ?

Check the restoration section, there are a few posts about leather restoration without effecting the color.
    I've found Vaseline works but it isn't universally excepted as a treatment and it may slightly darken the leather.

ILH
    ?

If its Buff I'd leave it be as almost anything will affect the colour.
    It also depends on how stiff it has got, if its really stiff treatments can damage the leather by reinflating the cells at an uneven rate causing them to rip apart from each other.
    Its surprising what a good brush and a hoover can do.

Wicked find, I'd be over the moon with it.

A found this photo, which might be of interest. Listed as Canadian Militia 1867 belt.

Attic find British Slade Wallace belt?

RMD
    ?

Amazing find!

?

[QUOTE=Anderson;1955918]A found this photo, which might be of interest. Listed as Canadian Militia 1867 belt.

Attic find British Slade Wallace belt?Possibly used in the Fenian war then Anderson. Thanks for the research.!!