Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Australian Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures

Article about: Australia’s domestic webbing production was slow to get underway during the Second World War. The country was able to procure webbing from England, and later Canada, for its forces serving i

Cheers Michael, The pack has the thicker buckles and no eyelets on the weather flaps. As to the belt I've uploaded a couple pics - left to right - Indian belt buckle, Aust pack & Aust/Indian? belt buckle.

Just a laugh, when I grabbed and took the shots of the pack early this morning my Wife just got out of bed and walked past the war room with the door open, she snarled at me and said "IT SMELLS!!!!"
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-14-2020 at 02:37 AM.

More of the 44-45 stripey material, the large jungle basic pouches & wide shoulder straps are also found in this material (can't find in the junk pile for now)
    Just a note - the mattock carrier was rarely used in the PTO
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-14-2020 at 06:05 AM.

Sorry I have to add the Harris double stamping and the address is not far from where I live
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-13-2020 at 10:33 PM.

?

I think you pack is certainly Australian-made René! It's a nice piece, for sure. I'm still not sure on the origin of the belt, but it is certainly a nice addition to an Australian set of webbing!

That's funny about your wife and the war room! lol

As you can see my large pack is dated 1943 and is made of that same striped webbing. My earlier 1942-43 Australian webbing mostly lacks that striping, so I wonder if they adopted a new way of dying/preparing the webbing stock in 1943 when they started adopting other design changes.

Thanks for the additional shots of Harris! It always helps to have more than one example handy when trying to discern Australian markings!

Cheers Michael,
    The stripy material observations are only from what I have seen and I haven't seen earlier than 44. I'm guessing the change must of happened late 43. My pack is at a guess 45 production as the colouring matches the 45 dated wide straps, EDIT -- but Just as I was searching for these straps (not found) I did find this RMB pouch with the Newey's eagle snap so my 44 period is off whack! and I have to eat my words

Just going by Aust field gear, this is the earliest Aust made item that I've seen!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-13-2020 at 10:49 PM.

very interesting, it appears the material of the binoculars case has a much tighter, smoother weave that normal web?

?

Here is the earliest piece I have seen, though it is not pattern 1937 proper...

Quote by karkee View Post
    Here is the earliest piece I have seen, though it is not pattern 1937 proper...
    Not sure what this would be for? could it be packed with some type of equipment?
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-14-2020 at 03:07 AM.

I think something for the Vickers although I believe a Sten mag fits too.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast