Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Australian WW2 compass and periscope

Article about: by Trance_Eyes NooooooooooooooooooObvious reproductions! Better count the stitches on the pouches! Pity! Lololololol! Nice stuff Luke, cheers for sharing! Hahahaha!!! Good one mate, I knew y

4md
    ?

Default Re: Australian WW2 compass and periscope

cheers luke, thanks for your help, i mite email this guy and get a quote even just to get it cleaned up a bit and filled with fluid, it would be great to get it back in tip top shape and looking as pristine as yours

AIF
    ?

Yeah mate definately see what he says, I saw on another forum a Canadian MK3 that was in a worse state than yours and when It came back It looked even better than mine. Keep us posted about what he says and If you go ahead with it as I will be interested to see how this turns out.

Cheers Luke.

Senior J Sheriff
    ?

Australian WW2 compass and periscopeAustralian WW2 compass and periscopeAustralian WW2 compass and periscopeAustralian WW2 compass and periscope
    Hi there, I am new to this page but would like some information on a compass which I have found amongst my pop's belongings. It is a beautiful looking item and I would really like to know any information possibly on it. It looks very similar to some of the above ones. I do know my pop's father John went to war and I assume this was his.. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Finding this means so much to me
    Thanks
    Tenille

AIF
    ?

Hi your compass is a MK3 prismatic the same as I posted at the start of this thread. Does it have any markings on the bottom at all or is it blank?

Regards Luke.

Senior J Sheriff
    ?

Quote by AIF View Post
    Hi your compass is a MK3 prismatic the same as I posted at the start of this thread. Does it have any markings on the bottom at all or is it blank?

Regards Luke.
    Thanks for your reply Luke, I thought it was! I can't find anything on the back of it.. It does look like something is missing off the back but maybe not, it's hard to tell :/ he fought in the Great War between 1914 - 1918 and was awarded a military medal for bravery in the field. And then he fought in WW2 between 1939 - 1945 and sadly he was a prisoner of war in the hands of the Japanese between 1941 - 1945. My pop and his family all believed he was killed and never heard from him for years then he either escaped or was released and surprising arrived home to his family! I have just started researching my family and this man amazes me! I have so much more war items and all his medals also, absolute hero in my eyes!

compass41
    ?

Hello,
    wonder if you guys can tell me a bit about this compass,I have been caring for this for years and thought about time i found out more about it.
    Australian WW2 compass and periscopeAustralian WW2 compass and periscopeAustralian WW2 compass and periscopeAustralian WW2 compass and periscope
    Thanks

AIF
    ?

Hi it is an Australian issued MK9 Verners Pattern compass from WW2 see post #4 of this thread.

Cheers, Luke.

?

Here is my compass and case. The compass is a 1943 MkIII made by CKC/C. Any thoughts on who this company is please? The case "Made by Butler Bros Aust Ltd Creek St, Brisbane 1941" and the Supplying Depot tag says Mk IX No 23555. Sadly the Mk IX case is too small for the Mk III compass but they still look nice displayed together.

Cheers,
    Oz.

?

Forgot to check Google. CKC = Canadian Kodak Company. Did not even think of Canadian.

Oz.

jeepnut77
    ?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I can find little to no info on an item to which I found during the cleaning of my grandfather's garage after his passing this week.

I will give a little background on him.

He served in the US Army in the Pacific from 1943-1945 with the end of his service on mainland of Japan during the very beginning of the occupation. I cannot tell you where he served previous to that as he would not talk about it at all. I am starting the process of determining with what unit and where specifically he served to maybe shed some light on what I found.

It is an obviously authentic 1943 Australian made MKIII compass. I would like to know what it is worth. As I understand they are very rare and highly collectible. I am not a collector nor do I have any interest in keeping despite it being my grandfather's. I know nothing about how he ended up with it or why he brought it back so there is no emotional connection and I would prefer someone who could enjoy having it in their collection having it.

As you can tell the fluid has gone bad. With enough light and and a steady hand it is still usable. Looking for any input on who can appraise it and where I could sell it.

Here is something strange that may or may not be important. In the same box that I found this in, there was a ring. Old and tattered with some unusual symbol markings on it with a red jewel in the top center. I initially thought that it was an american class ring due to the design. but there is no date of school markings at all. the only legible marking is on the inside where it is stamped silver. don't know if it has any relevance or not but I found it in the same box as the compass. I do not have it in my possession as I thought it was a class ring and gave it to my mom.

I am in Wichita Kansas United States.

Thanks for any input.

Scott

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3