Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Bandolier

Article about: I believe the attached is a British issue leather bandolier. I've seen them in pictures used by cavalry in WW1 and possibly between the wars in India on the frontier. This came with a collec

kc1
    ?

Default Bandolier

I believe the attached is a British issue leather bandolier. I've seen them in pictures used by cavalry in WW1 and possibly between the wars in India on the frontier. This came with a collection of other items that is associated with a member of the Royal Signals. Would you expect this type of equipment to be issued to a signaller early in WW2? The only scenario i can see is for a D.R. Were D.R's drawn from the Signals or did each unit supply its own?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bandolier  

Default Re: Bandolier

You are correct. "Don R's" were usually Royal Signals.

Nice bandoleer.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Its Bandolier Equipment, Pattern 1903 which was a replacement for the Valise Equipment, Pattern 1888, it wasn't a success as infantry equipment and within five years, the Regular Army re-equipped with the Pattern 1908 Web Equipment. Bandolier Equipment carried on being used by units of the Territorial Force and with Colonial units, campaigning in Africa and with the Indian Army on the Western Front. It was also used by the cavalry, cavalrymen wore the 90 round version of the bandolier. Drivers of the Corps of Royal Engineers also wore bandoliers, but of the 50 round type the same as yours. The 50-round Bandolier was still being produced in WWII in South Africa. I don't know if a member of the Royal Signals would use them but I don't see why not , but WW11 does seem a bit late for the brits to be using them unless some one can tell us different.

?

Hi I have posted a photgraph earlier today of men wearing these bandoliers asking for help in identifying their regiment, some kind members have said the cap badges are probably Royal Signals, see here for details:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/insig...-photo-247732/

The uniforms are suggested to be early WW2 so it looks like your initial information about the bandolier being associated with the Royal Signals could be correct.

Regards, Steve