Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Beach find Glass bottle with white substance inside, medical?

Article about: Hi people. Living in a coastal area I'm an avid beachcomber. So on holidays I always make long walks on the beaches picking up lots of junk that I take home to sort out, haha. A couple of ye

?

Default Beach find Glass bottle with white substance inside, medical?

Hi people.
    Living in a coastal area I'm an avid beachcomber. So on holidays I always make long walks on the beaches picking up lots of junk that I take home to sort out, haha.
    A couple of years ago I found this bottle, half burried with an entourage of other bottles and light bulbs on a sandy beach on a greek island. It is about 15cm (6 inches) high.

Almost pristine condition, except for the aluminum cap/seal that has had some wave and beach wear.
    At first I thought could this be a nursing bottle for farm animals? I guess the white powdery stuff inside could be powdered milk, right?
    Noooo... I posted this on a group that a lot of people with farm experience are members of and all suggested it could be medical. So I thought maybe this is some kind of vintage infusion? The Island was occupied during WW2, Italians and Germans were stationed there, lots of ships passing through, Turkey is on the other side of the Aegean.
    Also in WW1 there was a large naval base on the island, with lots of ANZAC soldiers stationed and a large army field hospital for all the injured from the Eurasian front, bits and pieces of equipment still lay around or wash onto shore from time to time.

Anybody out there that knows what this is?
    No other markings beside the logo and the gradation. The logo reads "UPR".
    I hope I haven't found anything with some kind of dangerous chemical substance inside (I have no intention rying to open it!)

Any info will be appreciated.

CBH
    ?

It looks kinda like a glass IV bottle, but I'm not sure.

?

Any marks on the bottom which could give a clue as to the country of origin?

MAP
    ?

Quote by CBH View Post
    It looks kinda like a glass IV bottle, but I'm not sure.
    Was thinking similar then thought that an IV would be hung upside down and thus the measurements be inverted?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Definately not milk powder. Maybe an antibiotic, not sure why you would think it has a farm connection (or military) as it could have been expired medicine tossed from a ship.

?

Hi guys.
    The IV theory is very good there's double gradation the one scale on the right is upside-down and the rim in the glass could be for attaching a ring of some sort with a handle to hang the bottle.
    A friend on another site found out the logo stands for "Usines du Rhone" which are/were in France so I have some leads there to follow...
    I thought "farm" becasuse the beach lies under a hillside with lots of sheep corrals located there...

I agree that it's an IV bottle.