Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Blue DUMMY Grenade and Tube

Article about: Hi Folks, I just wanted to share my experience and latest find. Background story: I met an M1 Carbine expert who lives about 15miles from my home. We arranged a meeting at his house, and he

Default Re: Blue DUMMY Grenade and Tube

I guess God helps those who help themselves... a little more digging revealed this:

Mk.II WWII 1944-1945
    In the closing years of WWII the Mark II was produced with a solid base with the M10A3, or M6 series fuze (depending on the explosive filler used).
    The yellow band around the neck of the body was standard.

The are numerous variations in the fragment and groove details that can be found, which seems to depend on the particular manufacturer.

There appears to be some yellow showing underneath the paint in every area, and the grooves cover the entire length of the body denoting a post 1942 model. The base is plugged (or unplugged in this case), which I think means that it is pre 1944. So if all that is true, then it is 1942 or 1943. Not sure if the m10a3 fuze was in 1942 models, so I could be wrong. I don't know

The yellow colour is a sealant - Doesn't anybody look at links when they are posted ?

Joe, the last bit of info you show is for standard frag grenades - not practice grenades.
    The bodies of practice grenades are slightly different. The NON-THREADED hole
    in the bottom is for a plug that bursts when the small practice charge inside
    is detonated, simulating a real grenade effect of noise and a puff of smoke.
    These blue practice bodies were reused many times until they
    became unserviceable.

I emailed a couple of photos of grenades I own to the webmaster at 'inert-ord.net'
    and got some good info from him. He might be able to tell you the exact date
    it was made - could even be post-war from the stamps on
    the fuse - 1950-51.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Standard WWII FRAG Grenade : Mk 2 grenade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note the yellow band painted around the top of the body
    which indicates high explosive.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Standard WWII FRAG Grenade : Mk 2 grenade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note the yellow band painted around the top of the body
    which indicates high explosive.........
    Sorry Steve... I was going off of the info stamped into top of the spoon. I'll e-mail the webmaster... see what he says.

Sorry Joe - I didn't mean to get all huffy - had my knickers in a knot
    yesterday.........! ( The fellows name is Ed. He's a nice guy )
    Regards,

Steve.

No problem, Steve, I understand. I tried e-mailing the webmaster and the message got dumped back to me. He must be inactive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2