MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Boot identification help?

Article about: Hello - I purchased these boots recently and would love some help in identifying the history of them, what the purpose of the metal studs is on the base, etc. The insole says 1955, but not s

Sidewalksound
    ?

Default Boot identification help?

Hello -

I purchased these boots recently and would love some help in identifying the history of them, what the purpose of the metal studs is on the base, etc. The insole says 1955, but not sure if they would have been added in more recently or if that would be the original date of the boots construction. I'm guessing they are American, but all help would be most appreciated. I would also welcome any guidance in terms of value, their rarity etc...
    I have attached several photos for reference -
    Thanks in advance for all your help !
    Sidewalk
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boot identification help?   Boot identification help?  

Boot identification help?   Boot identification help?  

Boot identification help?   Boot identification help?  

Boot identification help?  

?

Default Re: Boot identification help?

Hi Sidewalk.

Your boots are British army "Ammunition Boots". They used to be the standard issue boots for all army personnel up to late 1950s/early 1960s.
    They are no longer standard issue and are now only issued for parade purposes. (If you get chance, look at the Brigade of Guards footwear when they are in scarlets, they are wearing these type of boots)

The pair that you have are size 10 small, (narrow fit), as shown by the 10S on the sole and inner.
    1955 is the manufactured date and Palmers, the maker.

When issued new, the leather has a distinct "knobbly" apparence which is removed using various methods, approved and not so approved, to give a smooth look to the leather work.

Apart from missing a few of the sole studs, they appear to be in an excellent condition.
    The studs and heel/toe plates are fitted, so I was told, to protect the soles and minimise wear and therefore save on leather. (They also make a nice, satisfying "crunch" when marching) The boots are also "double soled" as standard, and, as you are no doubt aware, weigh a ton!!

Sorry I cant help with a value, the only time that I wore them was when I was issued them in the 1980s
    Also, with the right socks on, they are surprisingly comfortable.

Hopefully, this is of some help.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 06-11-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Addition/grammar

Sidewalksound
    ?

Thanks Jimpy -
    Appreciate the effort and information !
    S

?

No prob's Sidewalk.

Anytime you need help with something military, just holler, and if possible post up some photos, its very rare when there isnt anybody around at some point who cant help you out.

Regards etc

Ian D

I would value these at around £40/$60. They are nice boots in a good size.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Welcome to the forum!

I thought the hobnail studs were for traction. and the nice crunch is not appealing to me I hate parade squares, I was a field soldier.

?

Quote by Recon 3690 View Post
    I thought the hobnail studs were for traction. and the nice crunch is not appealing to me I hate parade squares, I was a field soldier.
    Hi Recon.

I didn't say that I liked being a parade ground soldier, I hated it. Given the choice between doing 12 hour guards and parades or being "stuck in a ditch" for 2 weeks, I would take the ditch every time mate. I just said that they "make a nice, satisfying "crunch" when marching"
    In my experience, they certainly donot provide extra traction, especially on loose gravel or icey conditions, they can be positively lethal!

Regards etc

Ian D

PS: Funnily enough, my son, a serving soldier in the Royal Horse Artillery, also hates doing the parades and would sooner be "stuck in a ditch!" ..........Like father, like son!
    Last edited by jimpy; 06-24-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Addition

very few like the parade square, but they usually are the ones that become RSMs

?

In WWII the studs were often removed by drivers etc as they prooved slippery. Here's a 1942 dated pair that I bought of the son of a RASC driver.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boot identification help?