Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

British 18 XXX Thompson Magazine Pouch?

Article about: We picked up this magazine pouch, that was thrown in with a Lot of other items we recently picked up. Saw that it was British marked and 1944 dated so the kid did some web searching and iden

Default Re: British 18 XXX Thompson Magazine Pouch?

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    SO what woud the actual name for this item be?
    I would think it's probably Box Magazine, Bren Gun, Carriers, Web, that is, a 'Web Carrier' for the 'Box Magazines' used with the 'Bren gun', as opposed to a Box for magazines used with a Bren Gun in a Carrier made of web (which doesn't make any sense). I could be wrong, though, as army nomenclature often doesn't make much sense.

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Also, any idea why someone would cut out a number of the partitions? Possibly re-purposed? And since it sounds like these things have been laying around in surplus for years, the 1944 date is probably good and no reason to believe they have been faked or reproduced I'm guessing?
    Could be absolutely anything, from military re-use to use as a schoolbag or any other thing you could imagine. I am not aware of any specific military modification to it. It's not a fake. I used to have one that was full of Box Magazines when I bought it, although I don't have it now (still have a Bren Gun though).

Rob

Thanks Rob for all the info. Now that we know what it is, my son can decide if he wants to keep it or not.

Here is a few photos of the other item we can not identify. I'm sure I've seen photos of these before on militaria sites but never paid any attention. It's about 15 inches long and about 4.5 inches at the widest point.

So, what do we have and do we need it...?

a golf club bag for a really small general sorry i had to say it

seriously now it could be a flag carrier for mine flags etc right sort of size

Just trying to identify it from the shape... it looks like it might fit an earth pin perhaps?

Rob

Thanks guys, now that I have a little something to go on I'll start pocking around for both of these items to get a better ID.

Russ

?

I’ve just noticed this thread (I’m rather busy with work at the moment) as I’ve not been on here for months. Anyway I to have a few of these and Rob is correct they are the “Box Magazine, Bren Gun, Carriers, Web” also known as the Bren carrier ammo dump bag as I believe this canvas bandolier when inside another ammunition container on the vehicle this part being disposed of once the magazines had been consumed.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2