Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

British 1944 pattern webbing equipment

Article about: Hi, Just surfed in, joined up, and adding my h'apenny/pound's worth: Another place to buy 44 is Sabre Sales, portsmouth, uk. Well worth checking out with a torch, dust mask, and packed lunch

ILH
    ?

Default Re: British 1944 pattern webbing equipment

Hi,
    Just surfed in, joined up, and adding my h'apenny/pound's worth:

Another place to buy 44 is Sabre Sales, portsmouth, uk. Well worth checking out with a torch, dust mask, and packed lunch... last of the old surplus stores.

I first met 44 as a cadet in the mid 80s. At the time, as others have pointed out, it was a popular modification for 58.
    The water bottles and covers were pretty wide spread, almost standard issue in airborne troops, but came into it's own with the lowslung 'sas/jungle' rigs (undo the stitching and take the wire hanger out and it hung level with the other after market stuff of the time, preferably on a roll pin belt).
    Instead of the useless 58 kidney pouches I've seen up to three late 44 ammo pouches (the ones with lots of belt fittings on the back- 'high and low') takes a small mess tin, as well as 44 utility pouches and radio pouches, takes both tins, just (slighlty deeper and wider than ammo pouch, radio sometimes has 2in slit halfway up left side). Tried a 44 belt with 58 pouches- disaster.... roped and fell apart!

As to Ade's straps, can confirm they are from the manpacks, seen lots of them but don't know the exact rigging.

I would like to confirm the 44 kidney pouch rigging (I think that's what they are); were they singly or paired (got 2) and do rear yoke straps go through the loop on the back of the pouch?
    And 44 Pat pistol pouches... i know the classic type (want one) but have another- same as Silvermans list, but i have my doubts... more like US M58? how many were there?

Going to post some photos of the bits i have to hand in a mo.... kidney pouch, frame, etc.

ILH
    ?

Right then
    Here we have a 1945 dated manpack carrier frame. Sorry Ade, I don't have a pair of those straps at the moment.

The aforementioned pistol pouch.... can't be 44, can it?

and finally a mainly 1946 dated rig with one 'kidney' pouch. It's higher and wider than a binocular pouch by a couple of inches, but floppy and no belt clips. It's mounted off centre because it didn't seem to work right in the middle- bunched the yoke together. Is it a kidney pouch and how does it hang?

cheers, Jim.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British 1944 pattern webbing equipment   British 1944 pattern webbing equipment  

British 1944 pattern webbing equipment   British 1944 pattern webbing equipment  

?

Hi Jim

Nice set of 44ptn kit that you have there mate.
    What you think is a "kidney pouch" is actually a radio spares haversack.
    If you look on the inside of the top flap, does it have the wording Cat No CN 1616 on it along with a date stamp and Mod/WD arrow. If it does, then it will confirm my identification of it.

I have posted the titles, ISBN's of a series of 3 books that are readily available about British webbing earlier in this thread.

All the best.

Ian

AKA: Jimpy

?

Jim.

Sorry, forgot to say in answer to one of your questions, apart from the rear pouch, (which would be slung on the belt or other harness as needed, you have got it set right.

Not sure about the pistol holster, its not like any 44ptn ones that I've ever seen before mate.

Hope that this helps.

Ian

Hi Jim, thanks for the posts

I have never seen a pistol pouch like that before.

There is a new section on the Karkee web website on 44 pattern webbing: It is very good.

Pattern 1944 Web Equipment

Cheers, Ade.

ILH
    ?

Thanks Jimpy, you're spot on with the radio spares pouch- right down to the numbers.cool militaria.

saw the book list, cheers, got one- better get the rest!

jim.

ILH
    ?

Quote by jimpy View Post
    What you think is a "kidney pouch" is actually a radio spares haversack.
    If you look on the inside of the top flap, does it have the wording Cat No CN 1616 on it along with a date stamp and Mod/WD arrow. If it does, then it will confirm my identification of it.
    Hi Jimpy,

Found a bloke on Ebay who disagrees:

"Some info I ref satchel from the guys over at Karkeeweb.com

A6/AF 0180 SATCHELS, BATTERY STAFF, R.A., MK. 2 Approved 31 Dec 1945, but now as Sect. A1 and the first issue becoming MK.1 (Arabic numbers now) and being made obsolescent. So it became...
    A1/AA 1616 SATCHELS, BATTERY STAFF, R.A., MK. 2
    In 1951 it changed again, Sect, A! becoming Sect. CN of C.C.N....
    CN/AA 1616 Satchels, battery staff, R.A., Mk. 2 (still with the obsolescent khaki Mk. 1 listed)
    By 1976, Mk. 1 had been made obsolete and Mk. 2 succumbed to the dreaded NSN system...
    8465-99-973-6264 HAVERSACK, 10 in. lg, 3 in. w, 9.1/2 in. h with Detail of Canvas cotton; olive drab; satchel; Battery staff RA Mk 2
    It was still there in 1995, but made obsolete some time before 1999."

now i'm really confused.........!?

Jim.

ILH
    ?

Chap just got back to me again,

Karkee Web will have this pouch and alot of other artillery related stuff up soon.

ian
    ?

that pistol holster is 44 pat for a browning gp 35
    i was issued one for my browning until we managed to get 58pat ones
    most 44pat holsters you see about are for the .38 and look like a green 37 pat holster
    cheers ian

?

Why oh why didnt i keep my 5 sets of 58 webbing with the 44 pattern water bottle carriers on all of them. Ade have you tried your local Army Cadet Force units they may still have complete sets of 58 webbing with the variations of equipment , thats where im headed next week as the cadets i trained are now adult instructors and some owe me big time,he he.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast