Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

British 1944 pattern webbing equipment

Article about: Hi, Just surfed in, joined up, and adding my h'apenny/pound's worth: Another place to buy 44 is Sabre Sales, portsmouth, uk. Well worth checking out with a torch, dust mask, and packed lunch

Herman
    ?

Default Re: British 1944 pattern webbing equipment

Hi,
    Just joined the Forum (Feb 2010). Seen these interesting posts and didn't want the readership getting confused...!
    The Manpack Carrier straps shown earlier are both waist belt straps from the frame. They look to have the aluminium fittings (rather than green, brown or black finish) so worth keeping hold of. For the frame shown above, a "head strap" and 2 or 3 load straps (the four foot x 1 inch straps) are required to complete it.
    KarkeeWeb is a great webbing reference site which started in around Dec 2008. The detail provided (on the Royal Artillery / aka radio pouch) is from the Army stores catalogues (chapter and verse) - but is essentially the same item as pictured.

The Browning holster is a bit of an oddity. If anyone has pictures of it in British Service (not discounting the post above) or distinct codes then please show if possible. The construction / material and is quite unique. The absence of manufacturer / stores codes / dates on actual items found has made any ID impossible. Any clues welcome - it would be good to place it.

SH.

ian
    ?

hi herman welcome
    i still have the holster that was issude to me its up stairs in a box somewhere
    ill look it out and see whats on it
    i dont have any pics of me using it im afraide but have to say it was the only one of its typ that i new of in the regiment they gave us 58 patern after a while
    i think it may have bin of canadian oragine
    il see if i can post pics of it today if i can find it cheers ian

Hi Herman, thanks for the info and welcome to the forum!

Cheers, Ade.

Herman
    ?

Ian, Now you mention it, the holster could be Canadian as there was a '51 pattern I think. Pass..!

ILH
    ?

I may not like their prices, but Silvermans info is seldom wrong.
    here's the link to their listing for these holsters (got mine from Sabre for alot less- he, he!)

'44 PATTERN PISTOL HOLSTER

In the Collector Grade book on the Canadian high power, it states that the UK bought 10,000 of these holsters from the Canadians.This must have been in the '50's, when more guns were purchased from FN and the withdrawal of the .38 revover comenced
    Pete.

Bang on Herman it is a 51 Pattern Canadian it was an upgrade that replaced the 1st issue holster, this style had the materials changed but continued to be used until the issue of CADPAT gear.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British 1944 pattern webbing equipment   British 1944 pattern webbing equipment  

Attached Images Attached Images British 1944 pattern webbing equipment  British 1944 pattern webbing equipment 

richmond
    ?

Hi Adrian
    Its Richmond, you may remember me at the shows ( Thin Read Line ) , anyhow I trhought I would chip in with the fact that when I was in the Joint Services i the late 1970s in the Indian Ocean , we were all issued with 44 pattern equip , with no 58 at all .

?

Hi guys,
    Just spoken to my brother, (ex-DWR), to check what kit they took when they were "jungle-bashing" in Belize/Kenya etc in the early 1980's. Apparently they retained their 58ptn rig but took extra 44ptn waterbottles and carriers and were issued the, then new in service, metal framed GS Bergans. (Same frame as the Para/SAS Bergan and Clansman man-pack radio system, but smaller pack size.)

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

It does make me wonder how soldiers issued with this kit were able to make do! By this I mean very few pouches etc. When I served in the army my belt kit was covered in pouches, full of kit, always and that is not including a day sack. I appreciate that times have changed and the British army has moved on but even so soldiers back then must have wondered where they were going to put spare ammo, rations warm kit, socks etc etc etc.

Not really a contribution to the over all thread I know but more of an observation. Unless anyone can tell me any different if there were more pouches available to soldiers back then? Was ressuply always close by or did the soldiers extra kit travel up in vehicles?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast