Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

British Army wicker basket.

Article about: Hello all, just spotted these wicker baskets for sale. Judging by the webbing straps I presume they are British Army. Any of you out there know anything about them and what they were used fo

Default British Army wicker basket.

Hello all,

just spotted these wicker baskets for sale. Judging by the webbing straps I presume they are British Army. Any of you out there know anything about them and what they were used for? Foodstuffs, poultry etc? Something that needed a flow of air too it?

British Army wicker basket.

British Army wicker basket.British Army wicker basket.

Cheers,

Ian.

Default Re: British Army wicker basket.

My mother has one of these, it's called a wicker 'Theatre Basket' and was used for keeping costumes etc. stored, aired and secure. It would appear to be made for travel as well, seeing as it has what looks like a rainproof oil cloth cover. It is probably of late Victorian date. Whether it has an army link is questionable, I would say that the straps that would originally have been leather have been replaced by these webbing type ones.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I can't tell if this is a military pattern Wicker Basket, but they were widly used by the British Army during WW2 and before.

I am an instructor in the ACF now and our QM still has a number they use in the stores.

The writting on top may give further explanation.

Hi Ian, they are WW2 British.

Be careful of woodworm in these.

Often used by the Royal Signals etc.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I have two of these that I picked up for the princely sum of £2 each!! One is marked SIGNALS or SIGNALLING ( the last half is bit difficult to decipher)

Thank you gentlemen for your replies.

Woodworm Ade? Never thought of that, may steer well clear then but interesting none-the-less. There are two for sale at £25 each so your £2 was a real bargain Grimebox.

?

Actually it is for picking your butt up and carrying it home after you have had it shot off in a big firefight.