Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

British black / blackened 37ptn webbing

Article about: Yes it was the only place to keep your mars bars from getting squashed lol

?

Default Re: British black / blackened 37ptn webbing

Yes it was the only place to keep your mars bars from getting squashed lol

Quote by davejb View Post
    Yes it was the only place to keep your mars bars from getting squashed lol
    I guess my set probably belonged to a cadet then! I'll have a closer look for any chocolate stains.

?

Grimebox,

As a former WW II reenactor, I can tell you that certain Canadian Rifle Regiments, such as The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, the Regina Rifles and the Winnipeg Rifles blackened their P-37 webbing. The officers of the QOR even had blacked rubber buttons on their uniforms and caps. I'm certain that I have some references to this in my military reference library. "Canuck: Clothing and Equipping the Canadian Soldier 1939-1945" by Michael Dorosh is a good reference source on Canadian gear. I'll see what I can find for you.

Gary
    Last edited by gbalke; 11-07-2011 at 01:43 AM.

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    Many thanks Ade. These are the only two images that I have been able to find so far, one of Lieutenant-General Sir Miles Dempsey with a black belt and the other of a crewman of a light reconnaissance vehicle, although his webbing could be green and just looks darker against his light shirt.
    British black / blackened 37ptn webbing

Are you sure that's Miles Dempsey? Whoever it is, he's wearing Canadian Army uniform. It looks more like Guy Simmonds to me.

Rob

Many thanks Gary, I have been surprised at how little I have been able to find on black webbing (especially pictures). I have a friend who is a CanPara reenactor and I'll ask him if he has the book mentioned.

Rob, To be honest I haven't got a clue who the officer is! I just quoted the book the picture was from (which in fairness is just a book showing WW2 colour photos with captions next to them)

ian
    ?

as far as i am led to believe
    all tank soldiers rtr or cav had to black there webing
    however
    iv have yet to see a long leg pistol holster that is balck??
    the plot thickens
    cheers ian

?

Grimebox,

Sorry for the delay in getting back, but of all things, I was hired for an out of state contract job, so my time visiting the forum has been limited.

I happened to find this link which may shed some light on the blackened web gear. It's to a site called Mapleleaf Up and deals with all things Canadian Military;

http://mail.mapleleafup.net/equipmen...937pattern.htm

Hope this helps.

Excellent link. Many thanks

Quote by gbalke View Post
    Grimebox,

As a former WW II reenactor, I can tell you that certain Canadian Rifle Regiments, such as The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, the Regina Rifles and the Winnipeg Rifles blackened their P-37 webbing. The officers of the QOR even had blacked rubber buttons on their uniforms and caps. .

Gary
    Hello
    To add to the debate on blackening of webbing, I have found a few brass buckles from 1937 pattern Brace Attachments at the site of a camp used by the Canadians as a pre D-Day staging post. These buckles appear to have had a coat of dark/black paint applied. Have a look at the photos in this link...

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battl...site-147881-2/

cheers
    Matt

kc1
    ?

I think any war time units that used blackened webbing were more likely those less concerned with 'bullsh*t' soldiering and more concerned with getting to grips with the enemy. I had 37 webbing as an army cadet in the early 1970's which required blancoing, a real pain. 37 pattern pattern from signals T.A in the mid 70's which had to be blackened, i used shoe dye then covered over with black boot polish. At Arborfield in 1977 i was issued with 37 pattern webbing, never been issued, and again that had to be blackened. At the end of training it was sent for destruction and new issued to the next intake, there seemed to be an inexhaustible supply of the stuff at that time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast