Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

British brush and button stick

Article about: Hello, picked up these items at the Thetford Militaria Fair today. I particularly like the fact they are both marked to individual soldiers. The button stick is made of bakelite.

Quote by ynot View Post
    You've got some great stuff there Doug.

Do you know this site http://www.corpsofmilitarypolice.org/tools/armynumber It might help you to find something out about those numbers if you're interested.

Tony
    Thanks Tony, I actually didnt know about this and its clearly very useful. Thank you.

MAP
    ?

If I may ask...what the heck is a button stick?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

a strip of metal, wood or bakelite slotted in such a way that it will pass over a row of buttons (as on a military tunic) allowing each button to appear through a slit so that the buttons may be polished without soiling the cloth

MAP
    ?

Quote by marinus View Post
    a strip of metal or wood slotted in such a way that it will pass over a row of buttons (as on a military tunic) allowing each button to appear through a slit so that the buttons may be polished without soiling the cloth
    Bravo!!! Thanks! Makes sense once it is explained.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you for your beautiful displays Douglas!

Allow me to add an image to this thread of two brass button sticks.
    I found those in the oosterbeek/Arnhem area when I was a young lad.

Greetings from The Netherlands,

Marinus

British brush and button stick

Great display as always Doug.

Numbered button sticks are very interesting, I have one with two numbers on it and as it is great war I was able to find out to whom it had belonged and it was also unit marked to the RWF and both men had served with them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Yeah, fascinating stuff. I remember when web gear was fairly common, those days are long gone now, and there's fake markings to boot, per another thread a few days ago. Wish I had more British stuff, but of course here in the US, German stuff is more common as far as woodwork finds.

Speaking of web gear, is an Enfield scabbard a very common item?

Hi Larboard, as you say 'speaking of web gear' are you referring to the webbing frog to hold the bayonet scabbard, or to the scabbard? (which is not webbing) If its the scabbard, there are two common types, the SMLE 1907 bayonet has a leather scabbard and the no.4 spike bayonet has a metal scabbard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British brush and button stick   British brush and button stick  

Sorry I was not more specific. I meant a "scabbard" slip in cover for the whole rifle, with an ammo or cleaning kit pocket on the outside. Don't remember where I picked it up, but when I looked for it on the net, I remember coming up fairly empty handed.

Except that now, doing the same search nets you some brand new repro items... ;-( I think it's this craze with re-enacting that is driving this repro business? I mean, what true collector would wants this stuff mixed up with genuine articles?

Amazon.com : SMLE British WW2 P-1937 Enfield Rifle Khaki Carrying Case with Sling : Sports & Outdoors

But it makes looking for genuine WWII items a risky proposition...

Ah, that possibility did not occur to me.

I dont actually know the answer to this, but I suspect British soldiers did not normally use these cases but merely used a webbing cover for the rifles action only. Having said that I think you are quiet right that they exist, but I can only imagine they are not common at all as I cant remember when I last saw one. I would be happy to know more about these cases.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast