Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

British Empire Webbing

Article about: PATTERN 1903 - Components PATTERN 1908 - Marching Order PATTERN 1908 - Marching Order without Pack PATTERN 1908 - Battle Order PATTERN 1908 - Musketry Order PATTERN 1908 - Drill Order PATTER

Quote by karkee View Post
    Actually collecting WWII British militaria can be hazardous to your health! The gas masks contain ASBESTOS, the compasses contain RADIUM, the blanco is CARCINOGENIC, and the mess tins have LEAD SOLDERING!

I'm amazed any of the tommies were healthy enough to fight with that kind of kit. lol

Cool, learn something new every day.

I’d heard of the mess tins having lead soldering, ive got myself a nice all stainless one that is post war (long post war) dated, that also happens to be from my birth year.

jwp
    ?

Excellent ! a valuable reference, many thanks for sharing this,
    John.

AIF
    ?

Hi Karkee, I have to say wow what an awesome and informative thread I don't know how I missed this one!! As a fellow Pattern 37 collector myself I can admire the work you have put in and know exactly how hard it would have been to piece these sets together well done mate

Just a little bit of info for you in regards to the Australian set, The blanket would never actually be carried like that, in actual fact the diggers were supposed to carry only a half blanket with a spare set of clothes and socks rolled up inside a ground sheet and the canteen was supposed to be worn on the waist that's why the hooks were added to the back although you see a lot of photo evidence of them being worn as you have yours set up as well. I hope you don't mind I have added a picture of my mid - late war Australian made set with large pouches and wide straps it is all dated between 1943-45.

Cheers Luke.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Empire Webbing  
    Last edited by AIF; 01-24-2014 at 04:53 PM.

?

Excellent collection.
    Best I've ever seen where Webbing is concerned.

Gary J.

?

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Excellent collection.
    Best I've ever seen where Webbing is concerned.

Gary J.
    Thanks Gary, that is incredibly nice of you to say!

?

Quote by AIF View Post
    Hi Karkee, I have to say wow what an awesome and informative thread I don't know how I missed this one!! As a fellow Pattern 37 collector myself I can admire the work you have put in and know exactly how hard it would have been to piece these sets together well done mate

Just a little bit of info for you in regards to the Australian set, The blanket would never actually be carried like that, in actual fact the diggers were supposed to carry only a half blanket with a spare set of clothes and socks rolled up inside a ground sheet and the canteen was supposed to be worn on the waist that's why the hooks were added to the back although you see a lot of photo evidence of them being worn as you have yours set up as well. I hope you don't mind I have added a picture of my mid - late war Australian made set with large pouches and wide straps it is all dated between 1943-45.

Cheers Luke.
    Hey Luke!

I'm thrilled that you posted a picture of your set! I see it is updated a bit (with wide brace and the larger basic pouches) since your earlier posts. I have to admit that I based my set on your older pictures, thus the resemblance.

I also really appreciate your insights on the blanket, it did seem a bit tight in the blanket straps. lol

I'm not sure if you saw my earlier post on Australian P37 makers or not, but I'd love to hear any thoughts you have about it.

Australian P37 Web Equipment Makers...

-Mike

Such a good thread that I have made it a sticky.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

AIF
    ?

G'day Mike,

I will have a look at the thread and see if there is anything I can help you with. Yeah I decided to swap the smaller pouches out with the large as this web set will be going on to a Pacific theatre bren gunner mannequin display... I used the wide straps for something a bit different as well but I personally have never seen any evidence that they were ever used during the war (I may be wrong) But I have never seen a picture of them in use or ever come across a used pair or even a used single strap. So if anyone knows of a picture of them in use I would love to see it!

Also mate if you don't mind when I get a chance I will take some pics of the rest of my sets and add to this thread if that is ok?

Cheers Luke.

?

Quote by AIF View Post
    G'day Mike,

I will have a look at the thread and see if there is anything I can help you with. Yeah I decided to swap the smaller pouches out with the large as this web set will be going on to a Pacific theatre bren gunner mannequin display... I used the wide straps for something a bit different as well but I personally have never seen any evidence that they were ever used during the war (I may be wrong) But I have never seen a picture of them in use or ever come across a used pair or even a used single strap. So if anyone knows of a picture of them in use I would love to see it!

Also mate if you don't mind when I get a chance I will take some pics of the rest of my sets and add to this thread if that is ok?

Cheers Luke.
    Hi Luke,

Interesting observation about the wide braces, I've heard others say that there is no photographic evidence of Australian ET carriers in use either.

I'm sure many members on this forum would love to see some more of your sets (I know I would)! By the way, can I ask how your Australian belt is marked? I have never seen a maker marked wartime example of Australian manufacture before.

My set is marked as follows...

A) Waistbelt_______________________ -
    B) Braces (1 left, 1 right)_____________ A.F. 1944
    C) Basic Pouches (2)________________ G.M.H. 1943
    D) Bayonet Frog___________________ GROSBY 1944
    E) Waterbottle Carrier_______________ C&H 1945
    F) Haversack______________________ C&H 1943
    G) Shoulder Straps (Pair)_____________ S.K. 1943
    H) Blanket Straps (2)________________ J.J. 1943
    I) Entrenching Tool Carrier___________ D.C.D. 1944

I can vouch on the ET not being used and I did today an extensive search from my reference on the wide straps to no avail

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast