Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Fingerless Mitts, 1944 dated. Unknown useage

Article about: Hi Guys, any ideas exactly what these were used for? Cut as a trigger mitten, for thumb, trigger finger and other fingers, but the ends of the mit are open. Cheers, Ade.

Default British Fingerless Mitts, 1944 dated. Unknown useage

Hi Guys, any ideas exactly what these were used for? Cut as a trigger mitten, for thumb, trigger finger and other fingers, but the ends of the mit are open.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Fingerless Mitts, 1944 dated. Unknown useage   British Fingerless Mitts, 1944 dated. Unknown useage  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default Re: British Fingerless Mitts, 1944 dated. Unknown useage

They propably have the same use as fingerless gloves, but warmer. They look pretty thin to me, maybe liner gloves for full mittens, and when one needs to do something with their fingers, they can take the mittens off and still have those to warm their hands. Just my guess.

?

I think they are anti-gas gloves, originally produced from rubber but in 1942 oilskin was used to economize in the use of rubber. They were worn with canvas over mittens that protected & extended the life of the anti- gas gloves, well that what it says in the book.

Hi Guys, thanks!

They are thin canvas. Anti gas use sounds good.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I have a pair just the same that are Air Ministry marked. They came from a bale of unissued examples made of a variety of thicknesses and shades of canvas.
    David Gordon's book "Equipment of the WWII Tommy" states these are canvas over mittens designed to extend the life of the anti-gas gloves. He goes on to say they were not part of standard issue anti-gas kit but were reserved for men required to work in gas affected areas such as medics and decontamination teams. That would explain why they are always mint when found!