Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

British GAS sign

Article about: Has anyone ever come across one of these? Im assuming home front, but have no idea really and google isnt my friend on this one.

won't be seeing you this year my friend....I have the promise of a much better gig..........perhaps 2019

According to 'British military respirators and anti gas equipment of the two world wars' by Thomas Mayer-Maguire and Brian Baker.......
    To warn of areas contaminated with gas spray, warning signs were carried by unit transport when gas attacks were suspected, Gas warning signs were made from steel cut into triangular pieces and painted bright yellow . The word 'GAS'was then written on the sign in red paint. Any area contaminated with spray would be cordoned off using rope and the signs would be placed 20yd (18m) away from the contaminated zone.

Maybe red writing for mk.1 and black for mk.2 or just not caring too much for regulations.

Well these have been in use for decades certainly during my service 1975 -1999 and in my experience little precision was involved as they were hand made at unit level. The real test will be the MkI eyeball judging the old favourite "patina"

The symbol itself although used much earlier is a STANAG item.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2