Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Grave Marker Flag?

Article about: Hi mates.I just find this in a auction.Is it a British ww2 Grave marker flag as the auction's description says?Many Thanks

Default British Grave Marker Flag?

Hi mates.I just find this in a auction.Is it a British ww2 Grave marker flag as the auction's description says?Many ThanksBritish Grave Marker Flag?British Grave Marker Flag?British Grave Marker Flag?

Default Re: British Grave Marker Flag?

I am thinking about buying it.The price is low!!

Black flags are quite often seen at funerals-such as on cars, hearses, etc, but I can't imagine why one would be put on a Grave. Obviously, the grave's occupant is already Dead, so to advertise the fact with a black flag makes no sense and one would assume that they would want to honor him by placing a Union Jack above him-the country that he Died for. So, I would think that this is a Funeral flag, rather than a Grave marker. All the same, though, it's a fascinating little piece and if cheap enough, I would purchase it too!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Possibility, although i cant find much research about them. Here is a link to the manufacturers website: Welcome to Porters, Makers of Traditional Handmade Flags and Flagpoles - Flags by Porters
    If no-one else can provide you with information perhaps send them of an email and ask them what they have this flag uncatalogued as?

I have seen these on an auction site several times, all from the one seller, all saying "d-day" grave marker, id watch out.

In the last 4 months he has sold a fair few, which is always a warning sign for me

The black flag in maritime circles is used as a signal flag in yacht racing to indicate that a competitor has been disqualified, hence being 'Black Flagged'. Also, during ww2, captured German submarines were ordered to fly a black flag whilst sailing into confinement. Porter Bros. of Liverpool are makers of many types of flags and bunting having been founded in 1905, one of the oldest U.K. flag makers extant.

It seems that the yachting angle may be irrelevant as the flag was manufactured in 1943, hardly a time for "messing about on the water."

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Vicky you are right,but i lost the auctionSo i dont have to do further research.Thank you all for your time and help

Thank you Ned.Unfortunatly the price of the flag raised off at the last seconds... It is out off the topic,'cause i dont want a begin a new thread,but can anyone informe how much a complete p37 e-tool can worth?Many thanks

Just found out that the all black flag is the international maritime signal for "Shipwreck", every ships flag locker would have contained one. That, I believe is the answer to what this flag is.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast