Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Gun Telescope

Article about: hi fella's i collect british sighting telescopes and i find the website in the link to be invaluable British Sighting Telescopes sorry but i can't tell you what that sight was used for but t

Default British Gun Telescope

I have this gun telescope, it is made in 1941 in London, it is marked "Telescope Sighting No 7 MK II. Does anybody know what this might have been used in? Tanks, Anti-Tank guns?
    British Gun Telescope
    British Gun Telescope
    British Gun Telescope
    British Gun Telescope
    British Gun Telescope
    British Gun Telescope
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Default Re: British Gun Telescope

I really need help with this one. Please!
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Whats the markers name on the scope, I can't make it out.

It is W. Ottway & Co Ltd
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

?

I think this May be for a Vickers machine gun..how ever if I am right then there is a bit missing from the center of the barrel.

Just my thoughts

It is rather large, I can't measure it at the moment but I would say it is over 1 meter, maybe 1 and a half.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

?

Sorry about that, didn't relize it was that big.

Yes, you do have a similar sight to mine. Mine has a makers mark... Yours has the makers name, and there is a year in difference in date, 41/42.

Has any one got any ideas which gun they were used with?

Found This on The Great War Forum:-

"W. Ottway & Co was established in 1640 at Orion Works, Ealing in London. They became well established opticians and by the late 1800s were manufacturing a wide range of different scientific instruments. According to Ottway's catalogue in 1899 they were manufacturers of; "Naval and Military Gunsighting, Telescopes, Theodolites, Tacheometers, Levels, Miners' Dials, Prismatic Compasses, Heliographs, Equatorials, Driving Clocks, Filar Micrometers, Coelostats, Transits, Mirrors, Flats, Naval, Military and Astronomical Telescopes, Prismatic Binoculars, Sextants, Auto Collimators, Star Image Collimators, Focometers, Clinometers, Clinometer Testing Instruments, Spectrometers, Spectroscopes, Ships' Electric Logs, Workshop Microscopes and Optical Measuring Tools, Brass Copper and Nickel Silver Mandrel Drawn Tubes."

Hope this helps.

Oh, also found that the national maritime museum has 4 Telescopic sights made by W.Ottway. Though none of them are the same as the ones that you and I own, her are the links to the info about them:-
    Pattern no. G328 (KTP1118) - National Maritime Museum
    Gun-sighting telescope (NAV1583) - National Maritime Museum
    And here is a brass one in auction:-
    VINTAGE W. OTTWAY & CO. EALING, SIGHTING SCOPE

Hi ya,
    I took photos of my identical telescope along to the local Royal Artillery Association meeting. I showed these photos to some of the members, a couple of which believe that these telescopes could be horizontal plane scopes for the British 25 pounder field gun, As I was told they are used when you need to destroy a building, or use the gun in an anti-tank role. It was suggested that these are from the earlier 25 pounder's that had the fittings for this type of sight.
    If anyone has any further info that may help myself and colletorww2 on the identity of these telescopes, could they let us know.
    Cheers, Shadow Wolf.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast