Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

British Gun Telescope

Article about: hi fella's i collect british sighting telescopes and i find the website in the link to be invaluable British Sighting Telescopes sorry but i can't tell you what that sight was used for but t

Default Re: British Gun Telescope

hi fella's
    i collect british sighting telescopes and i find the website in the link to be invaluable British Sighting Telescopes
    sorry but i can't tell you what that sight was used for but the graticules often give away it's purpose. a tank sight will always have range markings on it as it needs to be laid on the move, whereas an anti tank gun/artillery piece will just have cross hairs this is because the range is adjusted by moving a dial on the sight mounting

eddy

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    Hi ya,
    I took photos of my identical telescope along to the local Royal Artillery Association meeting. I showed these photos to some of the members, a couple of which believe that these telescopes could be horizontal plane scopes for the British 25 pounder field gun, As I was told they are used when you need to destroy a building, or use the gun in an anti-tank role. It was suggested that these are from the earlier 25 pounder's that had the fittings for this type of sight.
    If anyone has any further info that may help myself and colletorww2 on the identity of these telescopes, could they let us know.
    Cheers, Shadow Wolf.
    Hi Shadow wolf,

I believe you are 99% correct. The sight is for direct fire as you state. However, i seem to recall that this particular telescopic sight, and possibly a previous mark, was used on the British 4.5'' medium field gun, not to be confused with the 4.5'' howitzer or 4.5'' naval gun. I'm sure i've got a reference to it somewhere, but can't put my hand on it at the mo. I'll keep looking!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thx Big Ned

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2