Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

British mk 6 and 7 gas mask bags.

Article about: Hello, doe anyone know of any websites that have photos (different views/ angles) of British WW2 gas mask bags ? thanks Dave.

Thanks for that, it's definitely not bad news as I now know what it is! Although I think I may have slightly embarrassed myself there! :P I completely overlooked the fact that other nations also used both the MkIV and MkV Respirators.

What is interesting though is that it now appears that the Canadians in fact also used the early Type A filters at some stage, which is a nice little piece of information in its own right.

Regards,

Danny

Although it's not the clearest photograph on the planet, it does show the kidney shaped carrier (as worn) that contained the Mk.II Service Respirator, which was exclusively used by the Royal Navy. Next time I'm back home I'll take some detailed photographs of my recently purchased example which is there and waiting for me.

British mk 6 and 7 gas  mask bags.

Regards,

Danny

?

Quote by joseph barrett View Post
    Here is a link to the military gas mask page on my website I have gone into a bit more depth on this subject, Its about halfway down the page plus something I forgot to mention here the MK.V-C.

GAS
    That is a great site with some wonderful items. I really liked the Radio broadcast on each section. It had me checking them all out!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    Thanks for that, it's definitely not bad news as I now know what it is! Although I think I may have slightly embarrassed myself there! :P I completely overlooked the fact that other nations also used both the MkIV and MkV Respirators.

What is interesting though is that it now appears that the Canadians in fact also used the early Type A filters at some stage, which is a nice little piece of information in its own right.

Regards,

Danny
    Embarrassed? Don't be ridiculous! I can't tell you how many times I've had to go on hunches and educated guesses when the surviving artifact no longer has it's markings and I have made plenty of mistakes along the way, let me tell you. I live just south of the Canadian border, thus I have seen these particular bags with their markings intact. I'm pretty familiar with Indian gasmask bags as well, Mks V-VII. Australia also produced Mk V, VI and VII bags, but I have not been able to get my hands on one to analyze its construction. I'm not familiar with filters, but I'll try to get you a pic of my Canadian 1939 mask with 1942 filter. Canadian gasmask bags are actually quite scarce, so I think you did well!

I really look forward to seeing your RN Kidney Bag. I have a keen interest in the interwar Royal Navy. There are some great period shots of this bag being used in China in the 1920s on this thread...

Webbing & Royal Navy Landing Parties

?

When the Royal Navy switched to the Mk V gas mask bag in the 1930s, they started wearing them on their hip (like the kidney bag) and on the back by looping the waist belt though the shoulder strap...

Of course the cavalry also wore the Mk V in a unique way on the back, by moving the detachable end of the shoulder strap to one of the D rings on the front of the bag. This style wearing the bag was developed in the Great War with the Mk I, though those bags had to be permanently altered.

?

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    Although it's not the clearest photograph on the planet, it does show the kidney shaped carrier (as worn) that contained the Mk.II Service Respirator, which was exclusively used by the Royal Navy. Next time I'm back home I'll take some detailed photographs of my recently purchased example which is there and waiting for me.

Regards,

Danny

Hey Danny!

I found this picture of a Mk IVA gasmask bag recently and thought you would find it interesting! It has intermediate features between a Great War bag and the Mk V. Additionally, it appears to have a Royal Navy Ownership mark.

Figured I'd scrape up some shots I have of my RAN Mk Va for comparison
    Last edited by reneblacky; 05-02-2020 at 05:48 AM. Reason: pic re-upload

?

That is a fantastic haversack René! Thank you for contributing to this thread with the great photos!

Hello everyone,

I'm in need of some expert help. I have owned the following British gas mask bag for a few years now. It was picked up while living in Germany and I always assumed it might have been taken there and used by a POW, given the heavy use and crude repairs. Then I put it in a box and only recently re-discovered it.

Having read through this informative thread and searched elsewhere online, I'm still unable to identify what model this is. It has elements of the SBR bag, including the material, snaps and buckles. But it also has several features that don't match any WW1 or WW2 models I know of. These include the very rough and heavy material of the strap; the fact it is stitched to the bag on both sides (no sign of being attached any other way) and the two rows of 3 vents at the bottom. There are no dividers inside and none were ever fitted or removed.

Can anyone identify the model? I have wondered if this is even a gas mask bag, but I'm not sure what else it could be.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthew

British mk 6 and 7 gas  mask bags.British mk 6 and 7 gas  mask bags.British mk 6 and 7 gas  mask bags.British mk 6 and 7 gas  mask bags.British mk 6 and 7 gas  mask bags.British mk 6 and 7 gas  mask bags.

Team what years did the V - VII come into service.
    I have seen varying haversacks in use for the AIF in WW2.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast