Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

British mk 6 and 7 gas mask bags.

Article about: Hello, doe anyone know of any websites that have photos (different views/ angles) of British WW2 gas mask bags ? thanks Dave.

Default Re: British mk 6 and 7 gas mask bags.

Thanks for replying gentlemen, great photos and links.

regards

Dave.

- - Updated - -

A useful thread and worth sticking IMO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Here is the most sure-fire method of differentiating the MkV, MkVI and MkVII bags, that works for all Empire variants in the absence of markings. Simply look at the method of attachment of the shoulder strap...

MkV - One side attached with a brass hook and the other side permanently stitched*

MkVI - Both sides of the shoulder strap connected to the bag via brass hooks

MkVII - Both sides of the shoulder strap permanently stitched.

*Some MkV bags were converted to MkVI specs with the addition of pockets

?

Here is another phenomenal article on the subject...

British General Service Respirator Haversacks

Quote by joseph barrett View Post
    Here is a link to the military gas mask page on my website I have gone into a bit more depth on this subject, Its about halfway down the page plus something I forgot to mention here the MK.V-C.

GAS
    Great site Cheers

I wanted to take advantage of this post to ask confirmation whether this is a british mk6 gas mask!?? I found it in one of my grandpas cupboards..is it a ww2 or late 50s??
    Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British mk 6 and 7 gas  mask bags.   British mk 6 and 7 gas  mask bags.  

British mk 6 and 7 gas  mask bags.  

NCA
    ?

It dates from July 1960.

Here's yet another British Service Respirator Carrier variant. This one is quite a bit earlier than the others shown in this thread, I'm not too sure what it's exact designation is but I'm pretty much certain it came after the Mk.I Carrier which was issued with the Small Box Respirator, and later the Mk.III General Service Respirator. The next carrier that appears to have been introduced into service following the Mk.I was the kidney shaped type which was issued with the Mk.II General Service Respirator which was used exclusively by the Royal Navy. So, as an educated guess the kidney shaped carrier could be a Mk.II Carrier? I have one of these kidney shaped carriers on its way to me, fingers crossed it has markings which may help identify its designation.

So with the Mk.I Carrier being used with both the SBR, and Mk.III GSR, and what's possibly the Mk.II Carrier being used with the Mk.II GSR, that effectively leaves the Mk.III and Mk.IV carrier designations somewhat a dark spot, which will be partially filled with the carrier below. I'm edging towards it being a Mk.III Carrier, due to some marks on the rear of the carrier which show that a respirator fitted with a Type A filter was in this carrier for quite some time. The Type A filter was seen on Mk.II, Mk.III and early Mk.IV General Service Respirators after which it was reserved for training purposes only. So that, in my opinion places this carrier right in the 1920's.

If any one else has any ideas, or simply has concrete knowledge I'd love to hear it!

Regards,

Danny

?

Hey Danny,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is a Canadian pattern Mk VII gas mask carrier. The internal pockets for the eyeshields and ointment as well as the permanently attached shoulder strap are the key identifying characteristics. Canadian carriers have some unique features like the pocket for the anti-dimming outfit, the single vent on the bottom, and the wire loop for securing the string. This Example was made by Woods Manufacturing Company, Limited of Ottawa, suppliers to the Canadian Military since the Great War and possibly before. If you look closely at your example, the snaps should read "UNITED CARR - CANADA".

I was going to write-up an article identifying the Empire variants, but I just haven't had the time...

Also, congrats on finding an RN kidney-shaped gasmask, I would love to find one myself!

?

Hey,

I found this pamphlet in the pocket of the Canadian Mk VII...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast