Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British oil can with brush

Article about: Hello my new antique store find is it from ww2?

Default British oil can with brush

Hello my new antique store find
    is it from ww2? British oil can with brushBritish oil can with brushBritish oil can with brush

Yasou!

It is a little difficult to tell without knowing the size but this looks to me like the oil can for a Vickers heavy/medium machine gun and yes it is from WWII although the WWI type was very similar.

It should be a half pint / 250ml size and have a maker mark (not 100% of them do) on the bottom which may well be covered by paint.

I hope this helps.

Regards

MarkBritish oil can with brush
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

10x7.5cm no markings on the bottom

They have some interesting items in Greek antique stores!..

It is full of British ww2 items here in Greek antique stores haha

Seeing this reminds me one sunday back in July when a guy had a crateful of these un-issued still in there waffle paper all dated 42,he purchased a load of war surplus gear in the late 1970's...........crazy how things show up suddenly,never thought to get one,£10 a head was that a good price?.................

Well, many such ancillary items that were meant to have maker marks just didn't and the reason why could be anyones' guess. The absence of a mark does not mean it is not genuine but we collectors all love maker marks don't we?

These are not rare items but they are currently to be found sold for anywhere between £5 and $40 if that makes any sense at all! So, take a view on the value but I would tend towards the £10 in the current market.

Many sellers do not recognise these as Vickers MMG equipment and offer them as Bren, Sten or any orther type of equipment. In actual fact the Bren oil bottle was exactly the same as the current GPMG item (check out the size of the pocket in the spare parts wallet or the barrel bag. The oil bottle issued to Sten equipped personnel was the same as that for the rifle (this smaller item is also found in the Bren Spare Parts Wallet btw).

It is not unlikely that British WWII items would be found in Greece given the presence there during the early part of WWII, the equipping of partisans and the British Army intervention against the Communists in 1944 plus support for the right during the 1946 -49 civil war! Rather a lot really!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

i bought it for 3 euros :P

Bargain!...